10 month old sleeping issues....

i am trying to get my son to self sooth instead of depending on me for comfort everytime he wakes up during the night. how long do i let him cry? what if he cries for 2 hours straight? how long do i wait to go to him and how often during the crying do i go to him? i have no clue what to do. i was nursing & giving formula(diluted) during the night, but his doc told me he no longer needs any night feedings.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say not to let a baby cry over 10 minutes.
    My son is 19 months and still does night feedings. He can self soothe but it took months. And you have to figure out what soothes him. mine needs 2 soft blankets, his teddy and a bottle. For me to not have 2 rock him 2 sleep.
    GL
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ah yes some babies are very persistent!! Feed him warm milk/formula right before bed, and keep his lovey or blankie with him during feeding. Lay him down in his crib while he's drowsy, but not asleep. If he wakes up & starts screaming, just tell him matter-of-factly that it's night night time and leave. Go back in every 10-15 minutes or so (don't turn the light on or take him out of the crib), lay him back down (even if he's kicking and screaming) tell him it's night night time and leave. Repeat until he wears himself out. I don't recommend letting him cry for long periods of time without checking on him, in case he got his leg stuck in the crib or something.
    After a few nights, he'll get the hint that you are not going to take him out of the crib and he won't be waking up at all hours. It's a rough few nights while you're letting him CIO but you will be SO thankful.
    GL momma!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I am not a fan of cry it out in general and not in infants younger than one at all so you can take my answer with a grain of salt if you want. Make sure he is feed, and has a dry diaper before you put him down. Check on him after a couple of mins the first time. Then gradually increase the time between you going in to check on him. Do not pick him up or turn any lights on when you go in. This is not going to be easy for you. Good Luck.
    SabrinaL

Answer by SabrinaL at 11:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My one son is 23 months old and ocassionally still wakes in the middle of the night. He gets 4 oz of milk and back to bed. My almost 10 month old still wakes 2x a night. HIs first stretch of sleep is about 6 hours, then he drinks a full 8oz bottle and is then up 4-5 hours later and I change him and he sometimes drinks a few more oz of just lays back down. Don't let a dr tell you he shouldn't be eating. If they are hungry feed them. With a baby that young I would let him cry more than 10-15 minutes tops. At first just give him 5 minutes then go in. But if has been a 6 hour stretch of sleeping. Change him and feed him, but taht is just me.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:16 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Doctors are not trained in nutrition or breastfeeding. The advice your doctor gave you is not what the AAP, LLL, or WHO recommends. For all of human history mothers and babies have slept together and babies have breastfed at night. It's normal for babies to wake and nurse at night until they are 3 or older. Babies cry and panic if they aren't with their mother because they are afraid they won't survive.

Babies should not cry at all. We don't know the long term consequences of CIO. Some babies have died. Babies and toddlers that have their needs met can then develop independence at their own pace.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You were doing it fine with night nursing. Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. "self-soothing" is a modern concept because parents are encouraged to not night parent for some odd reason
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We adults can get up anytime we please to go to the bathroom, grab a drink of water, and maybe a snack on the way back to bed anytime we please. You can call that self-soothing. A baby can't do for themselves. Even if they ARE thirsty, they can't do anything about it. Just because a pediatrician says they don't "need" it, doesn't mean much. What they mean is that your baby isn't going to fail-to-thrive at that age, just like you won't die of thirst if you don't get a drink of water at night. You'd be mighty uncomfortable though and still thirsty. Remember beig pregnant? You eat and then an hour later are hungry again? Wake up parched even if you were well hedrated? Rapid growth does that! You will miss these times

Baby's can't really self soothe -- they are just being taught to give up and not call for help at night even if they need something. Self-soothing just sounds nice; it isn't.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010