What have you done to lose weight?

I need to lose 20 lbs. I am starting tomorrow.. I am going to eat alot of veges, cutting out sodas and exercising... Anyone have any other tips?

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 12:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• If you're cutting soda, make sure you cut it completely...diet soda can trick your body.
    I got a Wii with the Wii Fit board and have been using it every day. The time you spend working out just flies by because you're having so much fun! Just this week alone, I lost 3 1/2 lbs.

Avoid processed foods, choose whole grains whenever possible, control portion sizes, and don't make anything off limits...a little bit of ice cream when you want it is far better than 1/2 a carton after you've deprived yourself. Divide your plate into 1/2 (visually is ok),then one half into 1/2 again. In the large portion, that's veggies. In one of the 1/4 spots would be meats, and in the other a starch with a bit of fat. You need some fat because some nutrients are fat soluble. cont..
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• sounds like you are on the right path - but include more fresh fruits then veggies - dark skinned fruits contain cyanidin - a naturally produced chemical that helps with wieght loss - and just remember the golden rule - if god didn't make it - you dont eat it - and STAY AWAY FROM DIET PRODUCTS - the chemicals in diet products actually swell fat cells - which makes it, obviously, more difficult to lose - and water water water
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Wow... terrific answer! Thank you!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Avoid anything that is blatantly afvertised as being a diet food (fat free! sugar free!)...they are often barely food at all! It is far better to have a little sour cream (Daisy is a good brand, nothing but cream), than it is to have a list of chemicals you can't even pronounce!

The other thing I wanted to mention was never go more than 3-4 hours without eating *something*. When you let your stomach go empty, your metabolism slows dramatically. By eating several smaller meals and snacks a day, you keep your metabolism at a nice steady pace, and it prevents blood sugar spikes and drops, which also cause the body to convert calories to fat instead of energy.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Weight watchers works wonders! It did for ME anyway...exercise and proportion control.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Okay, can you give me an idea of a starch to put on that portion? And what would be a good dark skinned fruit... Just curious... Thanks, Excellent Answers! I look forward to trying all this.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Dark skinned fruits - Red Grapes, Watermelon, etc - another tip - do not mix proteins and carbs in one meal - like pasta and meats - the two together slow your bodies ability to digest and process the foods -
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 12:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• So, Iike the idea of the plate splitting... An example might be, brocolli, chicken breast and either pasta or potatoes? Fruits as snacks? Thank you all so much for the ideas...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• thanks ladies i got some good tips
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 10:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2008