Tubes in Ears?

I have been told that my soon to be 3 year old has a speech delay from a few people that are family members and also the lady at the WIC office. We seen our family doctor today about it and he didn't seem concerned. He did refer us to a nose/throat/ear specialist though. He said if my daughter has fluid behind her ears, which could cause a speech delay, that she will have to have tubes in her ears. Well I was just reading about tubes in ears on webmd.com and it has made me super nervous. I don't know if she will need them yet or not but just thinking about it makes me stomach turn from my nerves. So my questions is, do you know anyone who has tubes put in their ears and it was from real recent, and did they have any issues or anything go bad? I am just a nervous mom worried about my 3 year old little sweetheart!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Health

• my 18 mo nephew just had tubes put in.... mid june i think. it was a same day surgery and he has to wear ear plugs to bathe for awhile, but besides that he's been happier than when he was getting ear infections all the time (that's why he had to get his tubes put in). it's not a real big thing and the procedure is real quick my sister said. my cousin also had her daughter get tubes in her ears too (she was about 2). everything went well for them too. gl and don't worry.... i think it's a common procedure and it really helps the kids
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My daughter got them last year. She was a month from turning three. she had tubes put in her ears plus her tonsils and adnoids out all at the same time. The only thing I hated was I went into labor that morning with her brother and had to go to a different hospital then her but my husband and mother took her to the hospital. They said she did great. The people there were really great with her and she had no problems. They stayed in a year then fell out. She had a bad speech delay to and had to be put in speech thearapy. She is now 4 and talking so much better. She used to get ear infections all the time and now she don't get them as much. She still has some speech problems and will start speech therapy again when school start. I would say if she needs them then go for it. It will help her so much. And believe me if she does get them in just a few months you will see a deference with her speech.
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My oldest son had them twice and my baby once. Both kids for chronic ear infections which caused language to be delayed because they couldn't hear properly. It's a quick procedure and complications from it (probably what you've seen/read online) are rare. They are supposed to fall out in about a year or so as the ear drum heals. You do have to be careful about not getting water in their ears. Makes swimming difficult as most kids don't like to wear earplugs. But yes it is worth it and yes if I had to I would have it done again. It does make a difference in speech. Feel free to PM if you have follow-up questions.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2010