Tubes In Ears?

I have been told that my soon to be 3 year old has a speech delay from a few people that are family members and also the lady at the WIC office. We seen our family doctor today about it and he didn't seem concerned. He did refer us to a nose/throat/ear specialist though. He said if my daughter has fluid behind her ears, which could cause a speech delay, that she will have to have tubes in her ears. Well I was just reading about tubes in ears on webmd.com and it has made me super nervous. I don't know if she will need them yet or not but just thinking about it makes me stomach turn from my nerves. So my questions is, do you know anyone who has tubes put in their ears and it was from real recent, and did they have any issues or anything go bad? I am just a nervous mom worried about my 3 year old little sweetheart!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 1 year old nephew recently had tubes in his ears and he is just fine. I also had tubes in my ears as a child, I had a delay in my speech because my inner ear wasn't fully formed when I was born (I was 9 weeks premature) and I had constant ear infections and was deaf off and on for the first couple years of my life but after I had tubes in my ears the problem was fixed and my speech developed quickly
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My brother is disabled and hs now 16 but in his life he has tubes 13 times and it hs never phased him at all. Trust me it was alot harder for the fam than him bc of worrying!
    jc22809

Answer by jc22809 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My nephew had tubes in his ears last year at age 4. He had tons of ear infections and fluid in his ears often. You typically have to have a great deal of infections, like 6 in a year I think, or fluid build up consistently for it to make a matter of concern for an ENT. But it did cause speech problems with him. However, at preK this year he had speech therapy once a week. Plus when he is around my hubby and I, and my parents we are pushing the correct pronunciation of words. And over-diction...showing him with our mouth things like SSSS, RRRRR, TTTTT sounds. Hope that makes sense. It's a fairly common problem and procedure, don't be too worried if it has to be done.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My son, now 17, has had 3 sets of tubes in his ears since he was 5, currently has great hearing with no present tube. When he began kindergarten he didn't pass his hearing test and so we were also recommended to a ENT doctor. I was nervous about the him having surgery also. But it explained many things with Ben such as his speech and the fact that he acted sometimes like he didn't hear us. I don't know how or why the physician who he went to didn't catch this. His surgery was done outpatient and that evening we were at home and he was in bed. I was asking him how he felt and Ben kept giggling. I asked him what was funny and he said, "Mom, I can hear you." I wound up crying that night. I felt like such the worse mom ever because he had not been able to even hear my voice. The next day we went for a short walk and he was amazed with being able to hear the birds for the first time. To me, Tubes are definitely worth it.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• As a mother of children that has a delay in speech, this is no big deal. If there is fluid in the ears, this will help the fluid come out and your child will hear better. A hearing test will also tell you if there is any problems with her hearing as well. Don't worry about the unknown. Some children are born with a hearing problem, and even a slight problem caught early enough can be helped before starting school. Assume everything is okay until you hear differently, or you will worry yourself to death.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My DD had them when she was 2 1/2 years. They helped so much. I am glad we did it. It was really fast. Did the regular doctor see fluid on her ears? My son has speech therapy. I think they told me that a stranger should be able to understand the child about 70% of the time at the age of 3yrs. Oh, and my BIL has tubes put in at the docs office without being put under. I was told they have to knock out the kids so they won't move during the procedure.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 8:09 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my niece got them and she is fine. Don't worry mama she'll be fine!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 5, 2010