is pilates hard?

ok i have seen alot of people on here swearing by pilates as a way to tone up that mommy tummy and i want to try it. is it hard? any dvd to reccomend? i am not very flexable or coordinated. i am looking for something low impact lol. what do you like and did it work?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• You honestly do not have to be flexible to do Pilates. I am not the most flexible person in the world and I could do it. It's more getting your body used to the moves and building up your muslce to do some of the harder moves. After roughly two workouts your body pretty much has it down pat, even though it's still a really good workout. It's not hard to do, just hard on the body to get started. As any workout would be if you're new to it.

I really suggest it. It helped me walk up straighter, tone up, and even helped me to gain flexability. Once this baby is born I'm going to start it up again. Now Windsor Pilates is the "originator" of the trend, so if you want to spend the money go to her. However, there are plenty of cheaper and just as good DVD's at walmart you could try. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I actually went to pilates because I had a hard time with yoga. I bought a book though that has different pilates for different parts of the body and all of the body. I use different areas of the book at my own pace. It also give an in depth explanation of pilates and how different pilates moves help with different areas.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Depending how flexible you are is what makes it hard or not. Deff go with beginners DVDs and as stated do the modified versions of the moves until you feel comfortable.
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 11:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'm not very flexible either... I tried a few different pilates DVDs... ended up cursing out the thing the whole time LOL didn't work for me.
    I recommend starting with yoga to get more flexible first, at least yoga is relaxing ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ya it's "hard". Especially if you are not typically working out. I personally don't think you need to be too flexible or coordinated. Yoga takes some coordination and flexibility. However, with either you just do what you can and you will get better as you go. I used to have several Denise Austin pilates dvd's that I liked.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I really like Pilate's and there are different intensity levels depending on your experience. I would google Pilate's for beginners and see what you came up with for dvd reviews.  I have a couple but they are harder and I wouldn't recc. them as they leave you burning fast...haven't done it in awhile and scared to try now. LOL

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Whatever dvd you go with, make sure you do the "modified versions" of everything and keep your head on the floor at first. It can put a lot of pressure on your neck to hold your head up the whole time if you are not used to it yet. Otherwise it is not hard, and the more often you do it the better you will get. If you do it once a week you won't see much of an improvement versus doing it every day.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Actually I've always heard that belly dancing is the best way to tone your stomach and burn calories too. They have videos that teach you how to do it. And your hubby might enjoy it too :)
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2010