All of you SAHM. just curious, how can you afford it?

Do any of you do work from home, or is hubby bringing in all the $? The reason I ask is that I'm SAHM but its no longer affordable but I can't get an outside job either because I have to be a caregiver, so what to do? How do you ladies manage?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 10:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• DH has a four day work week, and I do work two shifts a week serving.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I was a single SAHM. I lived with my mom at the time. I worked up until the end of pregnancy, then she brought in the only money. When my son was 18 months, I babysat another 18 month old. I went to work as a substitute when he was in First grade.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• fortunately my husband makes enough money to cover all our expenses and then some. plus even if i were working i would bring home very little after daycare costs, so me working is pretty much pointless for us.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We scratch by, I'm pursuing a degree so I go to school Full-Time, which doesn't help the budget, and I am also looking for part time work, but it's hard to find it because all of the employers want you to be flexible with scheduling, which I am not.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I work from home. Will share what I do, if you are interestedJust let me know.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 11:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I actually did work FT out of the house when oldest was in K-4. It was too crazy and had to quit. I have a home business with Arbonne and now contribute a lot financially to our household income. I no longer buy lunch out every day, have to buy dress shoes, work clothes and my income goes to all the activities that my kids are now able to participate in.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 11:04 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Considering that day care is $25 a kid per day and we have two that would need to go to daycare, we manage it by knowing even if I was working most of my paycheck would go to taxes and daycare costs.
    We don't have too many frills. No cable, no starbucks everyday, no expensive cell phones, no huge credit card debt and no car payment. That is how we can afford for me to stay home. We don't spend money we don't have. We pay cash for everything. We have stayed in the same house for 10 years, it is small, but super cheap. We have a nice yard and since we don't have a lot of money to go out and waste, we don't have too much stuff to clutter up our house.
    I am also a potter. I haven;t made any pots in a while, since my younger two babies were born, but I always have that to fall back on if times get too tough.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:08 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My husband brings in enough money for us to squeek by. Sometimes it's enough for us to live comfortably, but in the slow season we're rubbing pennies together in hopes they'll start mating. We don't live beyond our means and that's really important. We have basic cable only because it makes our internet connection cheaper. We drive around an old beater 1992 Ford. We don't go out to eat but maybe once a month. We don't buy anything that we don't absolutely need. We live within our means and that allows us to afford what we have. We don't have cell phones even, because we don't go anywhere for us to need one and they're not of financial need. All of our furniture is hand-me-down, all of our TV's are old school bulk, all of our clothing is years old .. But we take care of what we have, so that it'll last us another five years. Everything we do ensures that we can afford what we have.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• All I can say I live within your means. Anything you can cut, cut. But if you can find a good work at home job, go for it. My husband brings in all the money and it is tight. We are looking forward to the day when we can pay off our van.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My husband makes enough money so that I can comfortably stay home. It really wasn't much of a change for us financially. He was already making so much more than me that we don't even notice my lack of income, lol. :)

I seriously recommend looking at a site called moneysavingmom.com. It's really cool. She posts all kinds of ways to live for so much less.You wouldn't believe just the stuff I've gotten for free because of that site! Like, seriously, this lady and her husband just ended up paying cash for a really nice house because of how much money she saves on all kinds of things. It's amazing how they live on less. You can learn a lot from it, and like I said, I highly recommend it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010