Postpartum hair loss!! Please read.

Hi I am now 38 yrs old. I have 2 children and suffered from hair loss a few months after having each one. It last about 6-8 weeks of continuous hair falling out everyday it was every where. My son is now 15 months old and some hair has grow back but not everywhere like right in the front area where its thin and I am feeling so depressed and worried I am never going to recover and will probably have a bald spot in a few years right on the front. I have read about this and I know your hair is supposed to go back to normal but I really don't think at this rate it will. I am trying not to think about it but its hard and I do all the time. Is there anyone out there going through the same thing as me? Is it taking a long time to grow back?is your hair thinner? have you noticed it getting thicker? By the way I am taking all necessary vitamins, scalp massage etc......Thank you.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Good question. I just had my second and it has been falling out like crazy!!! With my first, some fell out, but it all came back.

This time, I'm worried. I can see bald spots and it's very thin. I wish I had an answer for you. It grew back the first time...
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 11:24 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• hmm, idk. after my first one i stopped the pre-natal vitamins and then my hair fell out. with the other 2 i kept on taking the vitamins and it didn't fall out at all. what kind of vitamins are you taking? it could also be hormone related. are you on any kind of bc?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• It won't grow back the same sorry. Mine hasn't come all the way back in, when I pull my hair back you can see some spaces. My DD is 3. But I think taking pre-natals awhile after you deliver should help.
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 11:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Going to your doctor and asking him about making sure that you are getting everything you need nutritionally is key. This will help put things in perspective. They can also do hormone testing to see if there is an imbalance there. I do have hair thinning since each child birth, but I also have noticed that since i am no longer deficient in my b vitamins, iron, folic acid, and vit. d that my hair is growing again. Plus I am taking an antidepressant, which is when i really noticed the difference. To little seratonin or to much can reak havoc on your body. Good luck!
    Joy118

Answer by Joy118 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 4, 2010