how do i get DD to eat things she will hardly touch

my did will hardly touch a veggie. every time i put them in front of her she pushes it away. i have had success with peas,carrots and potatoes but nothing else. s/o is the same way

Prayingforbaby1

Asked by Prayingforbaby1 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Keep offering and offer one she hates and one she will eat with each meal. Don't give her an alternative, have her eat at least one bite of it and then, she can skip it, but, not get something snacky instead.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Try serving things earlier in the day..when she's hungry. Many adults don't realize that kids are usually up to their limit of calories after lunch for the day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i'll try
    Prayingforbaby1

Comment by Prayingforbaby1 (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• All the experts say not to do this... but it totally works. When my 4 yr old was 2yrs old, we would offer M&Ms as bribes to try new foods or things he didn't like. We did MAKE him eat these foods - it was still his choice - but he wouldn't get the two little M&Ms setting by his plate unless he did. He ended up finding a lot of foods he really liked. Now at 4yrs old, I can't tell you the last time we had to bribe him. We never have any power struggles at meal time. He tries everything I put on his plate, loves all kinds of veggies, and really has a good attitude towards food.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• The best thing you can do is eat with her, normally if a child sees you eat something, they will want the same thing. Or make a game out of it, like who can eat all their's first?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When she sees S/O not eating it sets a poor example. Try to have take as many bites as her age. She may never love veggies but a little is better than nothing. My 10 years old GS has a terrible attitude about food because SIL is a picky eater also. Drives my DD crazy and she has finally given up the fight, dinner was not fun unless you had pizza, corn dogs, breakfast for dinner, chicken fingers, but no veggies. For him some of it is a texture thing.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would say keep trying to give them to her, keep introducing them like at breakfast, then again at lunch and then at dinner.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Keep offering and sneak some veggies in like V8 Splash that tastes like juice or make mac n cheese with peas or broccolli.
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It was never a choice for my kids. They were required to eat at least 2 bites of everything they were given. How else will they learn to try and like new things?
    I totally disagree with the companies that are now marketing to parents to "sneak" vegetables into other things. If we disguise what we are giving, are we teaching healthy eating habits? Are we teaching them to try new and different things? Are we teaching anything?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Raw vegetables with hummus
    Cooked vegetables with peanut sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010