Has anyone used or planning on using G Diapers or Bum Genius?

We want to use "green" diapers and this si our first. We looked up information about both but the G Diapers seem kind of pricey to start out. I told my mom we wanted to start buying diapers and she said we should just wait or buy regular diapers while our baby is a newborn because they go through so many. The whole point is that we are trying to be eco concious. I don't think she gets it and it's kind of bugging me.

novemberbaby14

Asked by novemberbaby14 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A friend of mine is doing G diapers. She said they are not that bad after the initial investment, but they did do disposable newborn sized ones, then moved to Gs when she got around 12lbs. She said they did have some leaking around the leg with espcially big/bad poops so they stopped buying the light colored covers and stuck to darker colored ones.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I've heard good and bad about gdiapers, never tried them myself, but I love bumgenius diapers. I loved the 3.0 pockets, they just came out with a 4.0 newer version, and they have flip diapers that are pretty popular, the AIOs, they are all fabulous diapers, I personally love the pockets though. Can't say enough good things about them, I used them with both of my children and am now trying to sell my stash. Good luck, some people just don't undertand. I did use disposables for the first couple weeks though until my boys fit into the cloth dipes, and the meconium stains bad, so I waited till that part was over. The 3.0s fit my son from about 10lbs on.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i LOVE Gdiapers only one ive used for my dd and will use for this baby to be 2 :)
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:25 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have never had an interest in Gdiapers, but I do use the Bum Genius diapers. I cloth diaper full time and have cloth diapered a baby from birth. I agree it's better to just buy newborn diapers over using the disposables. Prefolds are great for a newborn. I would recommend the Thirsties brand covers. Very nice covers and they are "bullet proof." Well worth the money. I did xs covers, prefolds and newborn fitted diapers for that stage. I really liked the Thirsties brand Fab Fitted as it was easy to use since it was our first experience with CD's and also they were slim.

The Bum Genius brand diapers did not really fit my son well until he was 3 months old. He was 8'3 at birth too. Now I mostlly use the One size styles.

You should come check out the forum on here "Cuties with Cloth Booties."

We love "cloth converts." Hehe :D

If you plan on breastfeeding it makes CD'ing even easier !!! Just toss in the wash.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I have two one size Bum Genius pockets and I like them okay. I prefer Fuzzibunz, but there isn't anything wrong with the BG. I just like the fit better and the snaps, though the new BG's have snaps. We use prefolds and covers at home and then use pockets when out and about.
    I had considered gdiapers when I was pregnant and this was before they had the cloth inserts. The first spring we lived in our house we had tree roots grow into our sewer line and it was just a big mess. So we are really careful that only toilet paper is flushed down the toilet. We don't have a compost pile, so we would have ended up throwing the diapers in the regular garbage. So when put into a plastic bag and buried among other trash in a landfill with no air or sunlight, I'm not convince they biodegrade in the time that the company claims. So I really don't think they are that much better than normal diapers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• There is a website called jillian's drawers where you can try out a bunch of different brands and then keep the ones you like and return the rest.

We did disposies the first week bc it was just easier. Plus, DD was really too small for the infant size and we didn't want to buy new born sized diapers and use them only once or twice.

Explain to your mom that cloth saves money. Most people don't give two craps about the planet but everyone cares about saving money. Bum genius has the one-size diaper that grows with your baby. Very cost saving. I like thirties one size covers best. They work for us with prefolds inside.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i think BG are way overpried for what they are made of and i could never get a good fit on the g's they were either too big or too msall on my son. then i just stopped supporting brand name companies and went all wahm, now i only use fitteds and sometimes fleece covers but maily just fitteds and babylegs.
    lilchikkis

Answer by lilchikkis at 12:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I tried g diapers, stuffed with prefolds because I didn't see the point in the flushable inserts. Big waste of time and money imo.
    I didn't dig them. I really really wanted to like them and I used them for 3 months, and she would leak everywhere. I tried afew different inserts here and there and I sewed my prefolds with a pattern I found online and sewed fleece to them. Nothing would work.
    I am going to try them again and buy some actual g-cloths.
    We just use prefolds and covers now. Afew diaper change pockets we use for bedtime
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't see the point of using g diapers with disposable inserts. You may was well just use a disposable. I LOVE my bum genius diapers! My LO has been wearing them since she was 8 lbs. She is now 20 lbs, we have been using them for almost a year and they still fit great (on a different size setting) and are holding up well!
    I registered for bum genius diapers for my baby shower, which was great. I got about a dozen that way!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I haven't heard of these.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010