Would it be rude to not go to the baby's funeral?

My sister lost her baby during childbirth and the funeral is tommorrow. I was planning to go and I already told our Mom I would be there but now I am having second thoughts. My heart is already broken, I don't think I can handle seeing the baby's tiny coffin and the pictures of him. Would it be rude to back out? Or should I go? Will I regret it later? What are your thoughts? I don't know what to do?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 11:26 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know you are all sad, but you're family, sisters, if this happened to you, would you want her there for you? Yes I would go, I'll keep you in my prayers.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think you should go and support your sister
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I would go. As tough as it is for you, it has to be even worse for her. Grieving with her will help you both. Be there for support. I can't imagine a time when someone would need more support than your sister does right now. You'll both be in my prayers.Try to stay strong, mama.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Oh wow how sad. If you think you are heartbroken, imagine how your sister feels. Personally if I was in your sister's shoes, I would want and need as many of my family members there as possible to help and support me. And if one of my sister's didn't show up, I would be upset. Its not about you and your reasons...its about your sister who just lost her child. You need to go...regardless of how hard its going to be, it'll be 100 times worse for your sister.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• yea it might be painful but you wont be upset or sad alone... your sister will need you too? I would hold my breathe and just go. be brave that sounds like a horrible situation :(
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• she needs to know you are there for her, physically as well as emotionally, it's ok to cry with her. my friend lost a baby awhile back and it was so sad and heartbreaking but i am so glad i was able to make there for her.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think you should go especially since you already said you would. you don't have to look at that stuff if you don't want to. but i think your sister needs you and it would make it even harder for her if you didn't go
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree with everyone u should go to support ur sister. She needs all the support she can get right now.
    andmaef28

Answer by andmaef28 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• i think it would most def be rude not to go.. it is your sister! and your heartbroken im sure, but so is she prob more so then you are, i think it would be a must to go, and im sorry for the families loss
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I agree. It will be hard. I never attended a baby's funeral. I feel for your family. I would go to support your sister. I think she will need all the support she can get. This is a hard time for her being it was her baby.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 4, 2010