If you had an extra car....

I have a car that we are not using because it needs a new fan and all new tires and we just can't afford it. It was given to us by a friend so we have no money invested in the car at all. My nephew just turned 16 this year and he really wants a car. He has had a job since he was 14 and is very responsible. We are thinking about giving him the car for his birthday. Do you think this is a good idea or no?

Juggalette0327

Asked by Juggalette0327 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes it does, but only because he's earned it with good and responsible behavior. I'm not one for just handing keys over to a kid just because they got their license. Good for him for being such a good kid. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 9:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• yes, if it's ok with his parents. he can use the money he's probably been saving to buy a car himself to get it a new fan and pay the insurance. i think that's nice of yall
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well.. I mean.. If he has some money that he can fix it up with. than yes.. but if he doesnt.. that would be a lot of trouble on his hands.. if he cant fix it.. he cant drive it and then he will probably have trouble finding someone to buy it. But your call!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 11:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Aww that's really nice of you!! If he is responsible that's a good idea!!
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Sounds like a good idea!
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 11:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Give it 2 him..juss ask him if he would want it.im sure he rather spend his money fixing it than more money on another car
    Leilene07

Answer by Leilene07 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• how generous you are! what a great idea! yeah, if he's working...and wants a car...and the car you have just needs a fan & tires...i think he will figure out a way to sacrifice some of his savings/income to purchase/repair those minor details...right?
    what guy would not jump at this chance?
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 11:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• well its no loss to you and it would mean te world to him ask his parents and give other gift giver a heads up about wht the car needs happy birthday good as new from family and friends... i woulda been so happy at tht age... i was a spoiled child tho i also had a job but i payed 300 outta 2000 for my first car when i was 17 and got my license!
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 11:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• As long as his parents are on board, it can be good idea. My child's uncle wanted to give my child a really nice car since he had some money at the time. I did not allow it because I do not think a child's first car should be expensive and spectacular. It is definitely a good time to get them to practice responsibility and look for a car within their budget.

I happen to have a similar junky car my next child wants for their 16th birthday. Since it needs a lot of work, we agreed that she can help sell it, and use the money toward a different car.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 11:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• if he has the money sure! i was also spoiled my first car was 8grand i paid zero when i was 15.. and i know it was the love of my life lol so im sure he will LOVE it!
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010