Where did you get your pets?

Just curious since we are in the process of looking for a Beagle.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 11:35 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Pets

• i got mine from the aspca and the last one from the rescue place at petsmart (i have all cats..... the petsmart place doesn't do dogs). i would definately go with the aspca..... there are so many cuties looking for love and they are forever greatful to you for saving them. they have all different breeds there so i'm sure you'll be able to find somebody!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We have adopted ours from a local shelter. I know that this particular shelter does have lists for people who want purebreds. We were on the poodle list for a while until our oldest became severely allergic to all dogs.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:38 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We got Jake (dog) from a shelter, BumbleBee (cat) from a shelter, Isis (dog) from a friend who didn't fix their dog in time, and Luna (cat) we got from my mom when a stray made a home at her house and had kittens.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• ASPCA and Petsmart a few years ago.
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 11:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• A good friend gave my Husband two dogs, actually he gave my Husband a choice between two and my Husband chose both of them.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:42 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We adopted all our dogs from shelters and rescues over the years. Good luck and enjoy the Beagle---they are so loveable!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• My pets have really come to us by circumstance over the years. I had a cat that my husband caught while talking on a pay phone. Somebody threw it out the window from a highway. We also had a cat that was abused and left on our doorstep as a halloween joke. Named that one Magic and nursed back to health. Our dog was originally a homesless man's dog. A neighbor took her over when the man was arrested. The neighbor could not handle the dog, so we took her over. She is addicted to Taco Bell.
    WyndenSkie

Answer by WyndenSkie at 11:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Our current Boxer came from a breed rescue. The last one we purchased from a reputable breeder.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 11:44 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I paid $750 for my dog from a pet store, only to find out that they get their dogs from puppy mills. I felt horrible for having supported something like that. I'm glad I have my dog because I love her to death, but it makes me sick to think that these dogs are being taken straight from a place where the animals are treated so horribly. I'll never "buy" a dog again, I'll only adopt. It was the first and last time I buy a dog from a pet store. Next time I'm going to the pound and getting the ugliest, least likely to be adopted dog there is. Those are the ones I feel worst for because I know they don't have much of a chance. Seriously, even talking about it makes me want to cry.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• Our older mutt came from a shelter and the younger mutt we got as a pup from a girl who couldn't care for him properly. They're both wonderful dogs. When we were at the shelter, there were quite a few pure breds in there, too, so don't think you just have to go to a pet store or breeder to get a dog.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010