Home Schoolers...I have some questions

What does a school year mean for you? (what are your vacations and days that you teach)

What do you do to prepare for the next grade, or higher level?

What's a day like for you and how many days do you teach?

How old are your kids? or What grade would they be in?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:47 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in

• Gaill~~ DE requires them to enter "school" at age 5. However DD misses the age cut off by less than a month. The cut off is Sept. 1 and her birthday is the 25th. However, she was more than ready to start a year ago. So that's what I did. I started by trying pre-k with her. She breezed through that in about 6 months, then I went ahead and bought a kindergarten curriculum. She is doing amazing and will finish up by the end of this year and will be starting 1st grade in January. For now, we are doing it by grade. However, when I am a little more experianced we may branch out, like a PP does, and allow them to choose what they want to learn(outside of the core classes that is)

Another thing to learn is to thicken your skin. It seems PS teachers can get away with the poor spelling and grammar, etc.. but we HS Moms cannot. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard....well if you are not perfect in ...(insert subject) how....
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 8:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My kids are 4 and 6, and every day is potentially a school day for us. We are unschoolers, so we use no set curriculum, no set schedule. My kids determine what, when, and where they learn. Perhaps when they are older we will settle down into a more structured approach, but for now this works best for us.

My kids are supposed to be going into pre-k and 1st grade this year, but they are both working above grade level in most areas. We don't focus so much on grades, and what other kids are learning. I have the philosophy that if my kids are old enough to ask the question, they are old enough to get an honest and complete answer. Because of that, we cover topics that normally wouldn't be touched until much later.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You need to check the laws in your state about school year, number of days, and attendance. We lived in IN when I homeschooled my 3 sons and all they required homeschoolers do is keep attendance. I just had a little calendar from the dollar store and put an x on every weekday during the school year that we weren't doning something that was totally not educational.

We unschooled and I consider all of life to be an educational experience. It worked out well, they all are in college now. One is a RN.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I teach 5 days a week. Usually from 10:30-12:30 with a break in there for lunch. That will change once we start 1st grade, and DD has more school work to do though.

We school year round. 9 weeks on, 2 weeks off. With a few days here and there. For now, this is what works best for us. We take 3 weeks off in the summer, and 3 in December as well.

How do I prepare for the next grade? I don't get the question. I use a set curriculum which prepares them for the next grade. I will also be printing out end of the year tests, to make sure they are where they need to be.

I have a 4 1/2(5 on sept. 25) DD and a 19 month old DS. DD is in kindergarten and will be finishing that by the end of December. We are taking 3 weeks off in December, and will start 1st grade in January. I am also starting a 2 year old preschool program with DS in January.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 11:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• We homeschool all year around, taking time off a week at a time and during Holidays and special occasions. I am always preparing for the next grade level. In some cases, we purchase curricula and in others, I write it. We teach 5 days a week for an average total of 2 hours per day right now. My son is 5 and completing Kindergarten.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

• 1. This is my first year. I plan on taking weekends off probably, because it works well with me thus far, saturday morning cartoons and sunday is church/ rest...

2.I am going to take it one step at a time, right now

3. i'll probably do a 5 day a week schooling schedule but have it be short, after breakfast and make schooling a habit but keep it fun. I will try and do some work at the kitchen table but want to do stuff outside too.

4. My dd is 4 and will be schooling alongside her older brother as long as she wants to- ds turns 6 august 31 and will be in kindergarten.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• (1) We school year around at this time. We enjoy the flexibility of being able to take time off during the summer to take miniature vacations; take time for doctor's appointments, etc.. We also can choose to take longer off during holidays. We also put in our schedule to serve our community one day per week. I like that I don't feel tied to 180 consecutive days as is the traditional school year.

(2) We use a curriculum. Christian Liberty for Kindergarten; Abeka from 1st on.

(3) Take a look at this link; my typical summer day:
    http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac230/madametriv/Schedule_Summer-1.jpg

(4) My kids are between almost 3 and almost 12. We currently have two preschoolers, one 1st grader, one 2nd grader, two 3rd graders & one 5th grader. January is switchover to new grades & we will be adding a Kindergartner.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 12:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I just read about people "homeschooling" their 4 year olds. You need to check your state laws. Most states don't require children to attend school until age 7. The state doesn't consider a child to be homeschooling until that age.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• 7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 12:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We virtual school. The school year runs from September 6 through June 17. The curriculum is provided. We do 3-4 hours, 5 or 6 days a week. We choose 6 days to keep our daily routine the same rather than a need to school 6 days. We also take days off as needed. I arrange his schedule to fit how he learns. He is above level in social studies, math and science so we can a week's worth of lessons and cover them in one session with great retention. Writing and reading is more difficult for him so we will do that every day for practice. We can also break the lessons down further if he needs extra help. (that is where the extra day comes in handy).

Even though he technically has another month of summer, we are doing summer lessons. Only one hour a day. We are working on reading and writing. Reviewing reading tracts from last year and working with phonics, working up to parts of sentences and such as real lessons get closer.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2010