I'm only 19, should this be happening?

For quite a while now, my fingers have been locking when I carry heavy items, or hold them too long. My knuckles feel swollen sometimes, and my hands are so weak that i cannot open a bottle at times. I am a waitress so i carry heavy plates all day, and if i hold one too long, my fingers hurt so bad, and feel really stiff. Is this normal? what do you think it could be? i dont have insurance so i can't go to the doctor.

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 11:59 PM on Aug. 4, 2010 in Health

• i have weaknes in my hands from carprel tunnel (sp?), but idk if that could cause stiffness too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• maybe your hands are tired and just need a break from those heavy plates.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ya sounds like carpal tunnel- you can research it online but resting your muscles (like not doing "those" repetitive movements) should clear it up....

feel better

hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't know that I could call it "normal", but I have a close friend who's had arthritis in her hands since she was 16 (she's 23 now). I don't know the details, but I wonder if perhaps you have the same thing? Try Icy Hot and Bengay and whatnot and see if any of that helps... then go to a free clinic?
    newrose08

Answer by newrose08 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think you need to find a way to go to the doctor. I don't think it sounds normal. It may be something minor, but there could also be serious underlying conditions causing it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• However, my guess is that it's carpal tunnel syndrome.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've had it way before my waitressing job, probably around 2 years, so I'm not sure what to think. Arthritis runs in my family. I will try to find a way to the doctor.
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have arthritis in my hands. I have had it since I was 18 and worked in a factory with my hands. It didn't help when I worked at my In-Laws resturant either. What you might do is get Tylenol arthritis or Bayer back and body and take that for a few days and see if it gets better. Thats what me and my mom do and it helps the pain go away
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I was thinking it was carperl tunnels. You are too young to have arthritis.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Younger people than me have arthritis.
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010