A Store Bought Costume or Home-Made?

Halloween is such a fun time to decorate for... Just wondering if the home-made costumes are still as popular as they were when my kids were growing up...

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 12:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Just for Fun

• The only costume we bought was the first one for our oldest in 2001 (she was 16 months old). It was a Tigger costume and all 4 of my kids wore it their first trick or treat.
    The rest of their costumes were hand made, hand me downs or put together at home.
    Last year my son wore one of those cheap stamped one piece things that tie in back, but it was something someone gave me and it happened to fit him. It was Darth Vader so he wore the cape I made him for his Batman costume from the year before.
    I prefer handmade costumes. My mom used to make my costumes and now I want to carry on the tradition for my kids (I actually taught myself to sew so I could make costumes).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Store boughts save time for busy families but if you have the time, I suggest making one...you could get your kids involved and make it EXTRA special. A GREAT way to spend time with the kiddos and save money, too!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• lol, i cant sew so i have to buy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• You don't have to sew to make a homemade costume. Just get creative and use ordinary garments in an extraordinary way!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I've been making costumes for my kids for the last few years. We have a blast and the kids help put their costumes together. I don't sew either, last year one was a present, a giant pink crayon, and a flower garden. Store bought costumes don't work as well in my state, Alaska, because you always have to bundle up in snow pants and everything to go outside at that time of year. We're actually expecting a little snow this week. :(

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2008