I know I'm gonna get some haters and bashing but need some opinions... Kids and TV

When we moved, our tv that was in our loft for DS to watch went into his room because we had no other place for it. So far it's workedwell but recently I've caught him watching it when he's not allowed, and I just caught him watching when he's supposed to be sleeping. I'm so TICKED right now I don't even know where to begin. He knows better. I let him watch in the morning, but I had a set time (6:30) that I told him he wasn't allowed to watch till so he wouldn't get up at 5 to watch it.

This past week I caught him looking for the remote when he was supposed to be sleeping and he said he was looking for it "for the morning" but I now I know he was looking for it so he could watch then. Tonight I went up there to make sure he was sleeping and he was watching! He's lost ALL tv for 2 weeks (it's locked.) Tempted to just take it but don't think DH will agree. Maybe lock it nightly and no morning tv either ? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take it out of his room.
    momofne

Answer by momofne at 12:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm not really sure what I would do, but I bumped this question! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would take it out of his room. It is too much of a temptation for him to obey the rules. The solution is that it goes away. Stick it a closet if you don't have another place for it.

I would curtail the tv watching in general for a while, maybe just a little family tv time in the evening.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• if it were me, I'd take the TV completely out of the room.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Personally i would leave it in there and just lock it. My daughter is 3 1/2 and OBSESSED with Micky Mouse and always wants to watch it and listen to the cd's. But at the same time if hes not obeying your rules, i would take it out. Maybe if you take it he will follow the rules when he gets it back, if he does.
    youngmomma021

Answer by youngmomma021 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Kids take what they can get... it's the nature of the beast so to speak. the best solution is to take it out of his room I'm sorry to say.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'd take the TV out. I had issues with my son remembering to go potty while playing Super Nintendo (he is almost 3 and likes to mash buttons at Mario), so the Super Nintendo is gone (for a few weeks at least). Completely out of sight and out of reach.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my son has a tv in his room and has only certain times he can watch or play video games. he has a clock in his room with a poster up beside it on what times he's allowed to do certain things (and what time dinner is, school, bath time, etc) he seems to do well with such a set schedule. he knows when he can play games and when its time for other things. he has ADHD and will sometimes hadve a problem accepting when its time to shut off the tv but when I refer him back to the schedule he seems to get back on track. hope this helps.
    622mom

Answer by 622mom at 1:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would take the TV out of the room.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would just lock it during the times he is not supposed to watch. My kids have a TV in their room but they don't have cable and need to put dvds in. I keep the DVDs in my bedroom so that way they do not wake up in the middle of the night to watch.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010