Y does my dog eat crap, (literally)? How can i get him to stop??????

Its sooooooo udderly discusting to me that my dog actually gets excited and if i see it he will hide it in his mouth untill im away (im not about to go in his mouth and grab it either) Im almost sick writing this. Someone said cuz hes not getting the right nutrition but he will pick threw his food and leave piles of the food he dont want. Ive tried differant food but same situation.

Asked by lostiniowa at 5:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Pets

• I have the problem of my dog eating the cat poop. I asked the vet and she said it smells good to them and there was really nothing you can do to keep them from eating it other than keeping all poop picked up. (YUCK)

Answer by tripsmom1 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Actually, its because of all the fat in cat poop. Cat food has a lot more fat in it then dog food so for some reason most dogs are poop eaters lol :) The only way to break him is to do whatever you did to potty train him or her :) good luck

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• You might be able to add something to his food that will make his crap taste worse.....:(

Answer by sondrajoy at 6:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• he needs more fiber in his diet. he is eating it because it smells the same going in as it does coming out. give him some veggies with his food, or change the type of food.

Answer by hiddenpoet at 6:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• They do make a pill that will make it taste bad, but it only works if he is eating his own poop.

Answer by dogmama at 12:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• BABY GATE the cat food and cat boxes into one area. Fortunatly my dog is more interested in the cat food but, I am not taking any chances. That really grosses me out too. My friend bought a top entry cat box that is suppose to be dog proof... not for her Australian Shephard. Nothing comes between that dog and her granola treats. YUCK!!

Answer by FeelingBlessed at 1:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• there is stuff you can put into the food of all your outside or litterbox traind animals that makes it gross to the dog that finds it yummy

Answer by vakatia at 12:05 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• there is doggy pills and powder ask ur vet they give it to you

Answer by Patience1 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• He is missing something in his diet ! The dog food i recommend is Beneful by purina. Dogs love it and it has all they need.

Answer by missingbelle at 8:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• We talked to three different vets and then we saw a show about it. The do it cause they want to. There is really nothing you can do about it. They have the pills but they don't always work. My Lab does it. Not all the time though. She doesn't eat hers she eats our other dogs. it is really gross. They are an animal. Animals do things that are gross. Why do they lick their butts, or niff another dogs but? Same thing.

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008