Male or female dog? Any advice?

Gene_Godwin

Asked by Gene_Godwin at 12:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• about what? On which one to get?
    Female dogs are great with little kids they are gentle and protective of them at least the female dog that were around when my daughter was growing up
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• there's no real difference as long as it's fixed. if it isn't you have to deal with a male dog peeing everywhere or a female dog with period blood. but if they're fixed it doesn't matter, though males tend to have brighter coats, that's why all the Lassies were males
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think that if the animal is fixed there will be very little difference and a lot of it will be chalked up to the personality of the dog. I think male dogs get a rep for being more aggressive and females for being more nurturing, but I've known plenty of very docile male dogs, and have owned one female dog who was very aggressive. We dont get a dog at this point, but if we get one I will get a male, simply because it's a cheaper and less invasive surgery to neuter them than it is to spay a female.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i have a male and he is great. he is gentle with my dd and really protective. that is just my experience though. i'v never had a female dog.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have both male and female dogs. I think it just depends on their personality and training. And make sure you get them fixed!!
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• There isn't a huge difference nor concern unless you are introducing them into an existing dog dynamic.
    You do not want two mature unaltered male dogs together or female dogs. Not saying it isn't possible - saying that it tends to lead to a power struggle.
    Nor would you want to introduce an unaltered mature male into a situation with an older male unaltered or altered .

Personally I prefer males, altered and our second dog was a female altered. They go together nicely without any really dominance issues.

If you are going for your first dog, it makes little difference besides your preference just PLEASE get them altered.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 7:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have both a male and a female (same breed) and my female seems to be a little more protective than the male. It might also be because my male is my old man (he's almost 10) and my female is 1 1/2 so she still has a lot of energy. It really doesn't make a lot of a diffrence if they are fixed. I think it comes down to personality of the dog more than the gender.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Just make sure they get fixed and either will be great.
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 8:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We prefer female animals, due to the fact even after have our male fixed at 6 months we had issues with him marking.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've had both and always had better luck with males. I'm not sure why but they were always more affectionate. I also found females to be even more territorial than males at times.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 1:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2010