Too many presents.

My son is about to turn 1 year old. We are having a somewhat large party (my SO and I both have HUGE families). I am very nervous about a lot of things surrounding the party... but i am most afraid that my mom (sons grandma) is going to give him too many presents.
She tends to go a little crazy when it comes to gifts. She finds great deals all year long and then gives all of the presents out at christmas. Since this is my sons first party, i am afraid that he is going to spend 1/2 the time opening things from her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say let him have fun and let her spoil, just as long as it doesnt interfere with your child raising. Its his first birthday and more likly you will be the one opening the presents. They lose interest pretty quick and take lots and lots of pics or record it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Maybe you should casually mention to your mom that you hope she didn't go overboard and buy too many things for your son's birthday. You might even ask her to tell you what she got him, and if it seems like too many things, you could suggest that she save some of them for Christmas or for random special surprises in the future. I hope your little man has a great first birthday!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I could imagine that it may be an issue with other people in the family, like the other grandparents. I would suggest to her to only bring a few to the party then she can have her own little party with him the next day or something. I know my mom will be the same way and it will cause the inlaws to get upset.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Suggest that she'll make the other relatives jealous if she buys too much. Tell her if she wants she can either 1. pitch in with funding the actual party, 2. spend another day with him alone, lavishing gifts and attention, or 3. stretch the gifts out over time (Christmas is fast approaching). Tell her how much you appreciate her and how thoughtful she is, but let her know how you feel. Grandmas are made for spoiling. You know it and she knows you know it. Tame it rather than try and fight it.
    randomsoliloquy

Answer by randomsoliloquy at 8:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would accept the gifts, and possibly donate some of them. Too many toys can be stressful.
    Anonymous