How can I help my daughter sleep

Ok so my daughter is 4. She has always had problems sleeping. She now sees 3 different doctors for her Adhd. The one put her on concerta for her ADHD and then put her on clonadine to help her sleep. It didn't work so they told me to try to give her Melatonin also. So now we are up to three clonadine pills which each pill is .1mg and the she is on 3mg of the melatonin and still isn't sleeping. There is nights when she anly gets 3 or 4 hours of sleep. As I right this she is cuddled to me on the couch were we sleep most nights because she doesn't seem to want to sleep in her room. I don't know what to do anymore and I don't want to do any more meds because she is so young

Nicole_2007

Asked by Nicole_2007 at 12:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Will she sleep in bed with you any longer? My daughter is a horrible sleeper...she does not have adhd....and sometimes she just wants one of us with her. It's worth trying so you both get some rest.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would say to make sure you keep up with a bedtime routine and dont deviate from it. If co sleeping works better do it until she gets adjusted try staying in the room with her until she falls asleep. Goodluck.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 4:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I take a liquid magnesium/calcium supplement to help me sleep.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We do stay with her till she falls asleep. We have had to do that since she ways 1. And there are times when we have to sleep with her all night but it don't make any difference she is still a horrable sleeper. Plus she tosses and turns all night, whines in her sleep, and will start kicking the wall or my back in her sleep
    Nicole_2007

Comment by Nicole_2007 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Have you tried a night light or soft nighttime music?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I recommend setting up a bedtime routine. Turn lights dim, give her a bath, don't let her watch tv or play any video games 1 hour before bedtime. Then in her room play soft music and have a nightlight. We do all the above with our 3 1/2 year old and have since she was a baby. She also has a small fan in her room b/c the noise helps her sleep better. But the fan is up high on a bookshelf so that she can't put her fingers in it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:18 PM on Aug. 8, 2010

• Soft relaxing music?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2010