Quilting Questionz

Hi, I'm trying to make a simple quilt curtain. Well I say simple, but it's not so simple for me.

I have 4 colors and have made squared out of them and then am sort of doing a checkered look with them. How can I make sure all the corners line up???

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 12:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• First two tips are great advice. Another tip has to do with the order you sew everything together - DON'T try to sew together one whole row, then another, then sew the whole long rows together, you will never get your seams to match up. It is much easier to stay accurate if you make batches of squares and then connect those together. For example, when you have laid out all your squares the way you want the finished quilt to look, start with the two squares on the top left and connect them. Then do the 2 squares below that. Then connect those two pieces to make a bigger square with 4 pieces. Repeat this throughout the quilt, and then start joining your larger squares together. This is really hard to explain without showing you pictures! Write me if you have questions, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• as long as you cut them all exactly the same size & sew the exact same seam allowance on them, you shouldn't have any problem.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When I first started quilting that was my biggest problem. And even sometimes I use this little trick.
    Make a template of the size you WANT your squares to be.
    If using dark fabric use a pencil and trace around the template onto the WRONG SIDE of the fabric for each square.
    Then pin 2 together at a time and sew. make sure the corners line up.

also for future reference...lol. an easy way to do a checkered patern is to take 2 long strips of fabric. lets say you car making your squares 4x4. Then cut the strips 5 inches by lets say at least 25 inches long. Sew those long strips together fortst and then cut your peices, invert and sew your sets together.

I hope this kindof makes since. any questions you can message me.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Great answers already. One if you don't know what to make a template out of. You can use the tops of tossable plastic contains. Just wash first of course. That should cover your smaller square you are sewing into the four square patch. For the larger square you can use a box. Cracker boxes are a good size and weight for your four square. I use a sharpie and mark my seam allowance on my template and put the name of the quilt I made in case I want to make another. Second if you have trouble seeing the marks on your machine for the seam allowance. Take your square and put it back under the needle. Don't sew of course. Then take the blue tape for painters and put a strip down next to the seam. You can measure the length of the tape from the usually silver casing that the needle moves up and down in to the tape at differnent points to make sure it is straight. Now every square you sew will be the same!
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 4:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Hm wow what wonderful answers!!!!!!!
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Aug. 7, 2010