How long do you think it's acceptable to breastfeed?

So as we all know.... breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing.... you could breast feed your child till they were 8 if you wanted to...

but what is everyones opinion on long term breast feeding? What age do you think one should stop and why?

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 12:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• however long is comfortable for the mother and child. each situation is entirely different.
    misunderstood1

Answer by misunderstood1 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think all children should be breastfed at least until they are around 3. I think it's great to breastfeed kids that are 6-8 if they have health issues.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Until they bite..lol
    sam223

Answer by sam223 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• acceptable to whom?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I believe in child led weaning. Thing One BF'd until around three and a half, Thing Two is showing no signs of slowing up at 18 months.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Personally, If I saw a child who was school aged nursing, it would put me off quite a bit. I breast fed both of my boys and will be nursing this one as well... And I got a lot of flack for nursing till my youngest was 2 because most people felt that was to long. For me, I think 2 or 2 1/2 is the perfect age to wean. But I wouldn't look down on someone who was nursing at 3... On the other hand, nursing at 8 or 10 is just to much! I had my own boobs at 7... Thinking of needing or wanting my mothers that long is just creepy... Seriously, if your child is getting to an age where they are looking puberty in the eye - it's time to stop!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's a personal decision and it doesn't really matter to me. However I am a little uncomfortable seeing a four year old running up to mom at the park and settling in to nurse. Over the age of three I would prefer you keep the breastfeeding in your own home. Simply because I know you will catch alot of flack for it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010