Labor positions and experiences?

This is my first pregnancy and I am doing my research about labor positions. i have already learned that the typical position that you get put into in the hospital, on your back with your legs leg back, is actually really bad for you. I am interested in trying other positions. I want things to be natural. my ideal childbirth would be to just let my natural instincts take over and let my body do what it knows it should. I am curious about different positions so can you please leave stories and experiences about positions you were in during labor? which were most comfortable? most discomfortable? most relaxing? most stressfull?

alwaysthinking1

Asked by alwaysthinking1 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They had me sit on a ball that one was kinda odd, but they had me on all fours because the babys heart beat would drop in any other position... it actually was not that bad a lot more comfortable then on your back! I wish you Luck :)
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 1:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• good luck reasoning with the hospital to get you to labor in any position other than your back. i hear the best though is on all fours.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Being on a birthing ball during my last labor was ABSOLUTELY amazing. My doula suggested it and it helped SO much. I also dialated faster during this labor than I did with my first labor with was FILLED with medical interventions. Rocking on my hands and knees was also helpful.

As for pushing....I recommend squatting. If you're having your baby in a hospital check to see if they have "squat bar" attached to their beds.

Otherwise just get into the position that your body tells you too.

Laying on your back LITERALLY makes the pelvis smaller and has been a HUGE cause of many of these "your baby is to big for you" c-sections.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i sat up with the bed down in the front and the back up all the way so i was just sitting up. my baby was out in about 5 pushes, first baby too
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Also talk to your health care provider BEFORE labor AND your hospital to let them know what you want. That way you can find out how they are going to react so that you can work out the kinks BEFORE labor.

You do NOT want to be arguing with a hospital or doctor while your in labor.

Also stay home as long as possible. Laboring in the shower and in you tub in especially helpful to many women.

And remember IT IS YOUR BODY. Nobody can make you do anything with it that you don't want to. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT to deliver in any possition you want.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I wanted very badly in the middle of pushing the baby out to lay on my side, but every single contraction the nurse and doctor would move me to my back. If you want to do a different labor position, don't go to a hospital to have the baby! My Dd got stuck not only in the head, but also the shoulders and I couldn't see her for an hour after birth and they gave her formula during this time even though for the past nine months I had said I wanted to breastfeed! (she still latched on, but it wasn't easy or natural at all... Had to try a million different holds)
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 1:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I went all natural with my daughter, and the best thing for me was standing up squeezing the you know what out of my husband lol! But the exercise ball and glider chair worked really well! Good luck :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I really think women need to just do what they feel is comfortable at the time. I delivered my first on my side because it was the only way I felt comfortable. I delivered my second sort of reclined, almost sitting up. I had sat up and it felt all wrong. I realized his head was getting close and that's just where I stayed. (I pushed with him for 6 minutes).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had 2 natural waterbirths.
    Even still, the first one I was reclining and had coached pushing. Not so good.
    The next, I was leaning forward with my hands on the edge of the tub, like a supported hands-and-knees. That was divine! My pushing was so great~ the baby was 10-pounds and I didn't tear. !
    ;-D

I have info to send over for you.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i dont know why moms here keep saying you should do what u think is comfortable. if doctors have a problem with it, its because its probably hurting the baby, and lowering its blood pressure and oxygen intake. keep trying what u think is best, but dont get mad if ur doctor tells you not to do a certain position. its for the good of the baby. they just want you to deliver safely. i went natural. they had me on my knees pushing while leaning on the headboard, while i was on the bed, there was a bar there. didnt go so well, thought it was very painful. then they had me squatting, hanging onto a bar they had on the side of the bed, i was honestly too tired to stand up or use my legs for that matter, so i gave up on that anyways. so then they tried on my back, felt like i was too low, so they inclined the bed all the way up from the back, so the top of my body was up and the bottom was down, that made it more comfortable. GL.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 7:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010