Am I being selfish?

I am planning a mini vaca with my sister for a week from now. We are leaving LATE friday night and coming home monday afternoon. I am a SAHM of 4 kids. Ages 10, 6, 4 and my youngest will be 6 weeks when we go...I was told I am being selfish especially for leaving my youngest and going over 400 miles away. I should spend more than a day away from him (like going to a day spa)!!! What??? They will be here with their Daddy. What is wrong with that? I have never spent any time away from them except a night here and there when they spend the night with a relative or when I have gone into the hospital to have a baby... This is the 1st time I have had a mini vaca! Is it wrong of me to want to be "Brandi" for a few days. For 10 years I have been "mommy" or "his wife" not that that doesnt thrill me to pieces I love my family but for ONCE I would like some "me" time. Am I wrong for that?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with you taking this mini vacation! I have learned that sometimes I just need not pay attention to those around me who think they know what is better for my family than I do! Go be "Brandi" and when you come back, you will be rejuvinated and be a better mother & wife.  Have fun! =)

7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Ignore them, do something for yourself. Who the hell decided that when you get married and have kids you're now a life long slave and have no meaning of your own?

I'm not even sure a person that would say something like that is worth that rant lol.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Psssht, I think you've earned it. Ignore the haters. No one would say a word if it were your husband going. "Oh, what a selfish father!" Nah, you never hear that when guys do fun things. Go and enjoy yourself.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i have a 7 week old and can't imagine being away from her more than one day. not saying you are selfish, i just think you should wait til the kids are older. i have a told of 4 is too, 10,4,1 and 7 weeks
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That being said, I haven't really left my kiddos who are 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 11...but if I wanted to I wouldn't allow family or friends to interfere! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:20 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I say go & try to have some fun & relaxation,but you probably won't because you'll be worried about the kids & want to come home early.It happened to me the first time I left my kids for an overnighter.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 2:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ^^^ I shouldn't spend more than a day away~~sorry
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Ok so I'm not absolutely crazy for wanting to take a mini vaca!!!
    ~ keisha613 It does bother me that I am not going to be with my 6 week old, I really do think it is a little young however he will be with his daddy and not a babysitter, he's in great hands that puts me more at ease with it. But I cuddle with him all day and all night it will be an abrupt change for me not to be with him. But if this is the 1st opportunity that I have had in 10 years does that mean it will be another 10 years before I might get this chance again?
    We cant afford to go on trips like this and my brother in law offered to cover the entire trip thats the only reason I am getting to go.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 1:28 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. Have to have some "YOU" time. Enjoy yourself and don't worry what others think, as that is really none of your business! LOL There is only one you have to answer to and that is God.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 1:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• NOPE you are not selfish. Becoming a parent does not mean we are not allowed some free moments. I left my baby at 1 month of age, for a week to take an extensive college course. He SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010