Friend just found out she's almost 4 months pregnant. She's been doing drugs and drinking almost the whole first trimester because she didn't know she was pregnant.

My friend just found out she's almost 4 months pregnant. She was having light bleeding around her period times and has had no morning sickness or pregnancy signs other than some cramping until last week.

During what was her whole first trimester she drank daily and on many days pretty heavily. She smoked crack numerous times, she smoked pot and about 4 weeks ago she accidently over dosed on some narcotics. The hospital didn't do a pregnancy test since she THOUGHT she'd recently had a period.

The ultra sound shows the baby looks fine and the doctor said from what they can see the baby LOOKS PERFECT....but I'm worried about what they CAN'T see.

What are the chances of my friend delivering a healthy baby????

She has stopped EVERYTHING she was doing and is REALLY REALLY taking good care of herself now but I'm worried the damage may already be done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The first and third trimesters are very important in the major development of the child. I hope it does not suffer from what has been done but without further testing or until the baby is born, she will not know. Did she tell the doctor about her activities? The doctor will need to be made aware of it so the baby can be properly cared for. Good luck.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's most likely affected the brain. I know people that their parents did drugs while pregnant with them and they pretty much all have ADHD and a lower IQ due to the drug use.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 1:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• *hugs for you and your friend* I found out I was pregnant with my first just shy of three weeks pregnant. I had done acid and x several times during that first trimester as well as smoke cigarettes (I don't do any of those things now and haven't for many many years). I was so scared once I found out and the first words to my doctor was asking him what damage I did. I had a healthy baby. He's 9 now and has asthma and aspergers. I don't know if there's a connection but there could be. I would suspect there will be some emotional issues for the baby. I would have her start reading up on "spirited" and hyper sensative children. Dr. Sears (senior) has some amazing books that will be of great help to her. Advise your friend that child protective services will most likely be at the birth and will drug test her and the baby. As long as no drugs are found that should be the only time she sees them. I wasn't warned, its scary
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 1:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Poor baby, I hope he or she turns out healthy and that this is a wake up call to your friend for a lifestyle change.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well, I was worried about a former coworker's sister who used heroin and pills throughout her entire pregnancy, and she did not go to a doctor until she was ready to deliver, so no prenatal care at all. I was shocked and relieved when I was told that the baby was born perfectly healthy somehow. The child is now over three years old and is very intelligent and healthy as far as I have seen. I hope your friend's child does as well as this one. I know that alcohol in early pregnancy causes specific issues, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Did she tell her doctor that she drank heavily?
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• good luck to u and your friend.
    mommytoobe2011

Answer by mommytoobe2011 at 4:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Maybe he's healthy physically, but who knows about mentally. It might not be until the baby is a preschooler that you'll fully know what sort of mental or learning disablilities it will have.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 5, 2010