Why are women so insecure about looks? adult content

Society is inventing more and more things to help your physical apperence, fake breasts, extra padded bras, padded underwear. why? i am not asking this question to make fun of anyone or because i think its wrong to be insecure. I just honestly want to know what is going through the minds of women who are truely insecure with themselves. i have my insecure moments but i have confidence with my body. sure, my boobs could be a little perkier, my butt could be a little bigger, my nipples could be a little smaller, but i still love my body. Do women get insecure because of past experiences of people putting you down or is it mental, are your putting you down? why is it that when we look in the mirror we see our flaws first? why is there so much pressure to look a certain way? I am not looking for any specific answers to any of these questions. I would just like to hear opinions and discuss the issue.

alwaysthinking1

Asked by alwaysthinking1 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• probably because parents dont take any time to tell their child how truelly beautiful they are and alot of parents spend alot of time putting their child down....and then also with highschool, people are really hard on eachother especially if they dont fit a certain image. and after so much emotional abuse the female can feel really ugly..so as an adult we can afford to do things to make ourselves look pretty...and it makes women feel better bout themselves...i tell my girls everyday their pretty, or gorgoues....i give them lots of attention! i love my girls
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it is normal for women to want to remain younger looking since there are so many younger women attracted to older men. Men go gray and still look handsome! I myself am married to an older man, 14 years my senior.
    I do still worry about my looks, like recently I went and got bangs, I don't like them. I am letting them grow out.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 1:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Because we are constantly bombarded with celebrities, movies, Television, magazines, and dare I say Internet, to be this ideal that most women never attain. Anyway, it would be a pretty boring world if every woman had the same measurements and looked like Adriana Lima or Angelina Jolie.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 1:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think it starts with parents. My mom was always yo-yo dieting and my dad was never there. All I ever heard about was how I looked or needed to look. Seeing models possess the "ideal" look that I could never achieve, having my first bf negatively compare me to other girls, getting cheated on I don't know how many times, all of those things were major factors of my self-esteem, or lack thereof. I think that insecurities for other women stem from similar experiences. I just recently got over most of my insecurity. I still have my moments, but it makes me focused on making sure my girls are confident in themselves in ways other than their looks. I still tell my dd that she's beautiful, but I compliment her more on her intelligence than her looks. Hopefully that will be a start to breaking a long and vicious cycle.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• The media doesn't help. All the make up ads fashion designers. Movies are all based on looks. One day a magazine could be bashing someone for being to thin and the next day be bashing another because of their weight gain. Women ate deceived intro thinking that if you use this or that will succeed. Its all bulls*#+

dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 1:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• We are brain washed by companies that want to make money! NOT even the models look like that! Air brushing, lighting, make-up...
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 1:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Looks are so fleeting. I agree with Gene we are brain washed by companies and the media.

The air brushing cracks me up. Oprah is a prime example. i day she looks like she's a size 6 and the next day she's a size.

I think the best approach is to have healthy habits- keep the inside healthy and the outside will shine. Also, a good moisturizer and daily use of sun screen.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It's poor education on the parents part. Seriously, anyone dumb enough to believe what people look like on magazines and movies are purely ignorant.

The media can do whatever they want it takes a true fool to believe it. Young women are not being taught what true beauty is. Their dead beat mommies leave them to grow up learning from Lindsey Lohan, Miley Cirus, etc. They neglect their children and leave them to the wolves... But those dead beat mommies have to blame someone, cause they won't blame their lack of teaching their children how beautiful they are nor how to have respect for their body.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• People are easily influenced by societal pressures and the media. Celebrities are looked at as the example of what our bodies should be like. We see our men drooling over these celebrities and we thrive for that same attention so we feel we have to look just like them. If people stopped and thought about how long celebrities spend in hair and makeup before movies, concerts, photo shoots, etc. and that most people who pose for magazine covers are actually photo shopped, we might have a different outlook on things. I have saggy boobs and butt, my midsection is flimsy and full of stretch marks from having my son, and I used to be very insecure about what kind of shirts I wore in the summer because I had severe bacne - and nothing ever helped.

There are days I feel disgusting about myself and others when I say "Eh, I'm not that bad." I say be grateful for what you've got and embrace the woman INSIDE.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 1:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My mother told me things you wouldn't even tell people you hated. But I am about to have my breasts lifted and implanted because I have lost a huge amount of weight. I am doing this not because I am insecure but because its the best me I can be. I have a business and would like to keep myself going anyway possible.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2010