Why doesn't my baby hold his head up during tummy time?

I will admit I don't do it everyday and that may be a reason but when we do he just lays there like its nap time even though he never sleeps on his stomach! When I lay him on my chest he pushes up with his arms and holds his head up and when I hold him upright he is able to hold his head steady but when he's on his tummy he doesn't move. Could it be just because he isn't used to it? BTW he's 9 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter couldn't do that well until about 3-4 months. No rush, he is doing great for his age!
    MaddisonsMomma

Answer by MaddisonsMomma at 2:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would just give it time and not rush him holding his head up. I would just keep giving him tummy time like you do or more like doing it everyday. And maybe put some toys down there that he likes. And then just leave him be for a while. Every child learns differently
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My son was three months before he held his head up for tummy time. Don't rush him. Just lay hm down and sing him a song or play with a toy where he can see you, but to stimulate him to pick his head up for a better view.
    dys_momma

Answer by dys_momma at 7:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• well some babies don't have enough strength to hold up their head during tummy time until later!! it takes a lot of strength for a baby to hold their head up when they are on their tummy!!!!! my daughter didn't do it until she was around 2 1/2 months!!!!! try finding a few toys that your baby likes and put them in front of him to give him some motivation!!!
    tater1908

Answer by tater1908 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• closer to 12 weeks- he should lift his head about 45 degrees.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My baby is 11 weeks and doesn't do it either... he used to when he was younger, but I think he got to chubby to lift his weight! LOL If he isn't doing it by his 4 month appointment then I will ask the doctor about it, but for now I'm not worried.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Some babies are more comfy on their bellies... He may just want to relax. Give it time, he will lift his head up. My baby girl is too nosey to put her head down, she has to see everything (shes 5 months old).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 4:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2008