Questions for those who DID or DO Breastfeed ONLY!

How long did you breastfeed your child/ren?
Why did you stop at that point?
If you are currently nursing at what point do you feel you would wean - assuming they don't self wean?
Why did you choose to nurse over other options?
Do/Did you supplement with formula or milk in addition to Breast?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• How long did you breastfeed your child/ren? 15 months and still going (she only breastfeeds at night though due to me about to start working again)
    If you are currently nursing at what point do you feel you would wean - assuming they don't self wean? I'll ween her when she wants to, not before then.
    Why did you choose to nurse over other options? I hated the thought of giving her formula... I quit my job to keep breastfeeding her at 6 months when I could no longer pump enough for her.
    Do/Did you supplement with formula or milk in addition to Breast? She got formula in the hospital once when she was first born (without my permission) but I never gave her anything but breastmilk until after a year old, then I slowly introduced whole milk so I could go back to work.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 2:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my dd never breastfed. she refused to.
    my ds is 4 months old and he does, i chose to bf him because breastmilk has antibodies and stuff that formula doesn't. however, now that i'm back to work, we supplement formula. he prefers the bottle now, and only wants to nurse first thing in the morning and right before bed. but that's ok, i wasn't going past 6 months, so it's good that he's weaning himself.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• still BF at 8months
    If he doesn't self wean I will start around 18months
    I chose to nurse for 1. immunity support 2. Brain development for baby 3. bonding 4. Bottle feeding isn't an option I would choose unless my Breast milk is coming out of that bottle.
    I never supplement
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• **The "when do you plan to wean" question kind of goes with another question I posted in the Debate section about ages... So for this one, lets ASSUME that if you don't wean them, they will never wean and would still be nursing at 25... Not going to happen, but what is YOUR limit if they refuse to wean?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• So far its been just under four months.

I haven't stopped yet that's just how long he's been alive.

I'm leaning towards closer to 18mo. to 2 yrs.

Honestly first and foremost in my brain is that it is cheap all I have to do is feed myself a reasonable amount of food a day and my baby is fed no formula or anything to worry about. The health benefits are a VERY close second.

I finger fed a few supplements with formula because my milk took over a week to come in and my son was losing weight like crazy (a pound in just three days) I had inverted nipples and he had a poor latch but once we got over that hump he's had nothing but mothers milk since then. I actually kind of feel bad for having to give him the formula in the first place but I knew to expect it since I ended up not nursing DS1 at all because I didn't have the support and resources to overcome these challenges before.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 2:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I honestly don't have a limit, kids will ween on their own... you don't need to force them.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 2:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I breastfed for 12-15 months with all three of my kids.
    With the first I stopped because my mom pressured me to quit, with the second I quit because I was pregnant with the third and wasn't making much milk and he was not satisfied anymore, so he was pinching and biting me. And with the third I quit because by that point I had been pregnant or nursing for 4 years and I needed to be done.
    With my first I nursed because that is what wic told me to do. lol I was young and had no idea what I was supposed to do. Once I did it it was so easy not having to wash bottles and worry about fixing bottles that I kept doing it. With the other two I knew the benefits of breastfeeding and so I did it.
    With my first I did supplement with formula because my doctors office recommended it and I didn't know any better. But he got mostly breastmilk. I did not supplement for the other two.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Breastfed exclusively until she was three years and three months. We didn't set out to wean, she was feeding less and less so I gently encouraged her to sleep without it. I never supplemented with any formula, though early on I was scared that she wasn't eating enough and was tempted. (Good thing I didn't, she is severely allergic to cow's milk.)
    We stopped because she was ready and I was ready. I nursed because I just thought it made more sense.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm breastfeeding right now and my DD is a month old. I breastfed my oldest (who is three now) for three months. I stopped because she started growing teeth early and plus I didn't feel comfortable doing it by that point.

I plan on feeding my one month old for as long as I can, but come fall it might be difficult because i'm taking classes and right now i'm not extracting that much milk when I pump. So I might have to give her formula when I'm not here. Otherwise she will bawl bawl bawl.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 2yo DD was BF for 14 months.
    We stopped because BFing was suppressing ovulation and I was TTC.
    My 11wo DD is getting EBM through a tube.
    I'll be making her milk until she's at least two. She might not be able to go to breast and with her medical problems, it's definitely an asset to her.
    DH was set on nursing and then I found out more information about why "breast is best".
    Both girls have been failure to thrive babies. DD1 wouldn't gain weight and we supplemented for about 6 weeks to get her back up to par. DD2 gets formula mixed into her EBM so she gets higher calories with lower volume.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010