ever heard of a music therapist?

I am in college for psych. right now. I would like to get a doctorates , but the truth is tuition costs may keep me away from that so with a bach. i can be a case manager, social worker etc. I feel semi passion for psychology, it interests me but does not grab me as much as music. My passion for music has always been and will always be. I started thinking what if i combined these, helped with some type of music therapy. I would not be a psychologist without a doctorates but with a bach. I can do some forms of group sessions,things at schools etc.I want to work with kids ideally. Ever heard of anything like this? kids with anger could find venting methods through creating artwork like song writing,playing an instrument or painting(i would be open to multiple forms of art therapy not just music i think)ADD/ADHD kids could learn to focus through certain styles of music playing in the background etc..Music Therapy.thoughts?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 4:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• just to add.....my fave genre of music is metal but i completely realize i would not be using metal for music therapy all the time , not to mention some parents would go OMG and run away haha. i know that... i am trained on the flute and i know how to play a couple of other instruments somewhat, i can read/write sheet music etc etc.....i know music, heck i was in symphonic band and yes..i was a band geek in the marching band a long time ago haha. so i think my focus would be on listening to music, writing music, writing lyrics, singing, playing instruments...all formsof using music not just listening or just playing. and all genre's. for one person classical might be the trick, for another playing jazz on the bass guitar might be what lets them calm down etc. music is all about passion and you gotta feel it inside to me, so in a way the kids would help in deciding what music genre fit them best etc etc.....its just an idea
    moki1984

Comment by moki1984 (original poster) at 4:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yeah, there are music therapists for children with disabilities. Cool idea. Best of luck.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:18 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes, I have heard of this. Do your research and see what is involved. Google it to start. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I've heard of it, but I don't know anything about it. Good luck if that's the career path you choose.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2010