Dying but No Funeral?

How would you feel about a close family member like a sister or mother tell you that when they die they dont want a funeral? Would you respect their wishes?

SultryLadyBug

Asked by SultryLadyBug at 4:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes I would respect their wishes. My Dad was cremated and didn't want a funeral but we did have a memorial service. I have several friends who have done this too. I think people need a way to grieve and a memorial service is different than a funeral and can be held anytime. However if a loved one insisted on no memorial service either, i would honor that.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would do what they asked of me. When my Mom died her funeral was so over the top that it was overwhelming to me. That is when I decided that I would be cremated and have a memorial service at my home. I don't see the need for spending a lot of money my family may not have and a lot of the times a funeral can be more stress on the family.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes I would respect their wishes. Maybe there could be a small memorial where the body or ashes aren't present but family and friends gather to talk about and remember her.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• now this my sound harsh, but i've read it in a book years ago and it just stuck with: when a family member died, they didn't have a funarel just a little luncheon. everyone brought something along with a good story about that person.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't think funerals are a good thing and none of my family members want one. Neither do I. We will have a small get together...like a potluck lunch where we can gather at home and talk. I don't want people I hardly know coming.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes I would. If they don't want it then they don't get it. What is the point really? I would much rather everyone rejoice and throw a party in my honor than waste money on a casket and take up space in the earth
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes, I would respect their wishes. Several of my realtives have done this. And the burial was private. We still had a family meal with anyone who was close by and talked about the deceased.........what we loved about them, their funny personality, etc. It provided some closure. It is difficult for those who live far away to get some sort of closure but we did have memorial cards printed and sent them to all. They told us that was helpful.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Of course I would. I hope my kids respect mine. No viewing.No funeral. Send my body to be cremated and pick up a death certificate. That's it. Keeping my ashes is up to them. It's just what I prefer. That said if they need a funeral for closure that's fine, but I don't want a viewing period.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I do not want a funeral. And unless my sister chooses to have and pay for one for my mother, she will not be getting one either. Same with my DH. I see no point in them, they are an outdated ritual and cost WAY more than they should. I will have a wake for those who go before me - my DH, my mother, Gods forbid my child - but no funeral... I would rather celebrate their life than remember their death and I believe that's how it should be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Most definitely! funerals are for the living.

Answer by older at 11:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010