Has anybody heard of ODD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder?

Out of control behaivor in your tweens?

jaston

Asked by jaston at 5:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I personally do not think that is a true disorder. Bad parenting is the reason behind that.

Answer by louise2 at 6:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• yes I've heard of it ....louise, that's a terrible thing to say ! shame on you !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Now days they have every thing categorized as some sorta disorder.Too bad they don't have a special treatment for those holier than thou parents out there, now that's a terrible disorder.I bet those poor poor special people are constantly bent out of shape being so perfect, right all the time.
    jaston

Comment by jaston (original poster) at 6:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• no, bad parenting has nothing to do with it....at all !!!! parents who have children with autism or genetic disorders or ODD, etc., go through counselling to convince themselves it isn't their fault....and then someone like Louise comes along and because there's nothing wrong with her children makes them feel badly.....anyway, it is very real...my daughter is an absolute angel....she couldn't be more polite.....she doesn't defy people in a bad behaviour way at all.....but I will tell you good and specialized parenting CAN and will help.....you just need the right knowledge and right materials...and no, its not something that comes by instinct ! sorry, i have to run.....message me if you'd like. again, louise, nasty !!!!!!
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• LMAO Jaston What a perfect response !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:40 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It apparently is a true disorder, I have a coworker with a 10 year old girl who is in the process of being diagnosed. The girl gets violent and just can't take instructions or direction and flips out. Seriously flips out, loses all control. It is significantly different from just "bad parenting" and a kid acting out.
    babynurse244

Answer by babynurse244 at 6:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Louise doesn't "believe" in a lot of things, just read her responses to everything. She refuses to educate herself on anything. She thinks her way is truly the only way and will not learn about new things. It is rather annoying after a while.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Yes for two reasons: I have a degree in psychology and some one I know has a kid with it. She relented and put him on medication for it and originally told him it was vitamins. The kid was awfully young at the time. A few days later, the kid goes up to her and thanked her for the new vitamins because it helped quiet his brain down. This was several years ago, the kid now knows he is on meds but she struggles so much with him even though the meds help a lot. His dad has bi-polar so there is a genetic link to it.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ODD is a real diagnosis, although I find that many parents do tend to see the prevalence of diagnoses as excuses for not parenting. My children, adopted sibs, have many issues from a past laced with neglect and abuse. I find that, regardless of diagnosis, the majority of their problems can best be handled by strong parenting and by NOT giving in to "well, that's caused by such and such". While the root causes are different, the behaviors are still unacceptable and need strong parenting to make the necessary progress.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• yep.....my son has ODD....not even entertaining the other poster's delusion it isn't real...
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 2:34 PM on Aug. 5, 2010