• In the Spotlight:

Not meant to be offensive!!!

If some one were to tell one who does not believe in God f... your g-d. Would that be using the lords name in vein? I only ask because technically they don't believe in god. So they don't have a god to say f... to.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i dont see why it would be offensive if said btw Atheists as there isnt anything to get offended over. it sounds more like a funny way to end an argument to me.

however the statement itself can be seen as taking God's name in vain. the definition of "in vain" is 1. without success and 2. in a disrespectful manner. the definitions of "f---" are 1. sex, 2. to take advantage of, 3. angry dismissal...and those all sound like "in vain" to me. i guess it really boils down to why its being said and who its being said to.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• well its definitely unappropriate.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Usually if you have to preface with that, it's offensive. And yes, you are still absolutely abusing the name of the Lord by coupling it with a deragatory curse.
    Friskitriski

Answer by Friskitriski at 6:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• If someone who doesn't believe in God says that to someone else who does then that person is deliberately trying to provoke anger or hurt in the other person. Someone who constantly insists that religous people are bigots and then uses something like that to prove it has just rendered their point meaningless by being a bigot on the other side of the issue.

This being said, I am not saying that religious people can't be bigoted, we all know that's not true. I am just trying to stay within the context of your question. But since you expalined the context better in the post, I still don't understand. Was he trying to deliberately offend your mother in his argument with your friend? Why would he say something like that to an atheist?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well my first reaction is to say yes just because I dont' like the F word. However it oculd very well change depending on the context of the conversation and the manner in which it was meant.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• gotta love the censor button.

to answer your question. It would be wrong and disrespectful regardless of their believe in God or no God.
    Its sick in my opinion considering the real meaning that word
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• So, as a 'xtian', having to hear this recurring joke isn't offensive? You don't care for it, but it doesn't offend you..?
    Also, I have to admit, what Frisk said...I thought the same when I saw both of your posts-i was thinking, "oh great, what now!" LoL
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:10 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Frisk the whole not meant to be offensive means I am not intending to offend any one. Any one on here who knows my screen name and gets offended easy knows to avoid posts like that. So you obviously can't choose to use common sense. I am asking this for a reason. If you like to know my ATHEIST husband told My ATHEIST friend. F... your g-d. My mom told him not to use the lords name in vein in her presence . However he made a good point. That since my friend was an atheist she had no god there for no ones name was used in vein. So I really suggest you not assume, and if you offend easy, don't open posts that say offensive at all in them. K save us all some hassle.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well, I have a different view of what using a name in vain means. I don't view the above example as such but instead as a derogatory insult and it sounds like it was received as such. To me, using a name in vain would be to use it in a manner that diminishes, devalues, excessively prideful, in essence full of hubris. For me the saying as an example, "My God is the Most High God" is hubris and vain.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:18 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• it sounds like it was received as such

It was kinda by my mom. She though wasn't even in the convo. and she picks and choices when things offend her. I think it was more cause she hates dh. How ever I like your explanation Thank you
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010