Not meant to be offensive!!!

If some one were to tell one who does not believe in God f... your g-d. Would that be using the lords name in vein? I only ask because technically they don't believe in god. So they don't have a god to say f... to.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 6:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The mental irony is a imaginary dry hump.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:30 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would say they are still taking the Lord's name in vain. It doesn't matter if they believe there is a God or not. If He truly exists then his name IS being used in vain. (and I do believe he is)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I guess you could see it that way. IF YOU believe in God then you believe in God for everyone, regardless of whether they do or not. So, I would have to say that IF your belief included the "don't take the Gods name in vain" rule, that you would see it that way. For me, I would just see it as incredibly disrespectful of ME and my beliefs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• LOL, I don't know what i would do if someone said that to me. I think anyone who would say that to a believer is pretty darn rude even if they don't believe in god. I would take it offensively because it's obvious that it was said with intent to be harsh towards the other person, which is disrespectful.

Obvioualy the person who said it would believe there is not a god to use his name in vein, but a believer would still believe that that person did use the lords name in vein.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• funny I just read this on a status the author is Lisa Bevere wife to John Bevere author of The Bait of Satan.. good book on offense in the church btw

here is her quote.... not sure it is relevant but sure does make sense to me!

When people cuss it diminishes the sanctity of his name-but I feel Jesus would say forgive them father they don't know what they do. When people twist & manipulate scriptures to extort money-control Gods people-or oppress the truth, race or gender that distorts the image & character of God.
    Unregenerated people cussing is in my opinion much less of an affront to God than when those who say they are his mislead.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It makes me wince, that's my reaction...and I am not uptight about God / Jesus kokes made in good fun...

Meant in mean spiritedness.....feels very wrong to me

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:29 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm guessing that the other atheist probably wasn't upset by it, but I think it was disrespectful of him to say that in front of your mom, knowing how she feels.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• when they tell you that, ask them the same question. you'll laugh at the face they make.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Its about respect..
    No matter others believe you should respect their beliefs.
    And why is an athiest saying F* a god he does not believe exist in the first place? (lol)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hot- don't worry about yon bitchy simpleton over there... she has no sense of humor.

Personally, I get the joke... and no, I do not see it as taking ANYTHING in vain. If someone who believes were offended by it, that is a personal problem. It is not him (mine, or anyone else) responsibility to walk on eggshells around believers- it is not our job to be mindful of their feelings or beliefs, nor is it theirs to be mindful of ours... the only responsibility we have is to ourselves, and that is simply to agree to disagree.

It is no different than a believer telling an Atheist that they are going to hell. KWIM?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010