When you grocery shop do you ever get looks from the cashier?

we can't afford to o to the grocery store every few days for stuff. In hawaii the cost of stuff is too high. So I shop every 2 weeks... Boy the fuss cashiers makes because my cart is full. It pisses me off because I am giving them alot of business. Then they make comments. I have 2 kids and a hubby. And I don't think we eat more then the average family. What about you??

sockmonkey

Asked by sockmonkey at 3:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I have to say that I do get looks we are on a tight budget and I have coupon clippings and b4 they can even get to my food I have my WIC up front and they hate WIC I try to separate the WIC in to the checks to save time but after the WIC and coupons I be trying to watch the amount so I don't go over my spending limit on my food stamp card. So by the time I leave their line they probably  happy..lol.. But i try to greet them and be all nice when I first walk up because I know I am a hand full esp.. if my two kids are with me so I just try to strike up a conversation like hows your day been? Whith a smile somtimes thats all it takes I've been a cashier and know some ppl are just rude and come through your line and will piss you off and the next customer get a pice of your attitude even if it wasn't their fault..But  If she still looks at me ugly after I've tried to be nice than I give her one back :-)

poohboo75

Answer by poohboo75 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Cashiers don't do that where I live...bad business ethics. Even if they did I wouldn't care. Your grocery shopping pays THEIR salary...without consumers there would be no jobs.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• thanks hun:-)
    sockmonkey

Answer by sockmonkey at 3:16 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• They do that when I'm shopping for my mom. She writes a HUGE ASS list of crap for my boyfriend and I to buy, full of diet drinks and basic pregnancy no-nos. Now, men are pretty much clueless and kinda just stare because of the sheer amount of junk food my mom wants. Women give me weird looks, as if to say "...You know diet drinks are off-limits, right? You know this and this and this is bad, right?" And I just want to die right there.

Of course, I used to work in Walgreens, so I've been on the other end of the counter. Most of the time I didn't judge people...unless they were horribly obnoxious. If I was having a bad day, I'm sure I sent a few bad looks people's ways but didn't mean it. But some people deserved to be treated poorly because they treated me or my coworkers poorly. But I don't think a full buggy is a reason for someone to talk crap about you :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• thanks :-) and when I was pregnant I ate anything I wanted... the junk food was fun ...why not, right?
    sockmonkey

Answer by sockmonkey at 3:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Part of life I guess, they are probably more angry at the fact that you have groceries and they are still working in a deadend job. Start telling the cashiers how much you love this "so and so product" each time you put something really tasty on the conveyor belt. Rather than bugging them about the quantity start bugging the shit out of them about the quality. paybacks are a bitch.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I work as a cashier and I have to admit that alot of the cashiers do give bad looks when a full cart comes up because most of the time they are to lazy to care. IMO I love huge orders, keeps you busy longer, and it is fun to do the bigger orders since your not watching the clock the whole day.
    aprilmommy2007

Answer by aprilmommy2007 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Aloha sockmonkey. Why don't you try to ask who is the person incharge? that you would like to speak to him/her regarding the employees behavior. Thay ought to be thankful to customers like you bcoz you're keeping them busy & most of all that is THEIR JOB; if she doesn't like it heck! she can leave.
    lockness

Answer by lockness at 7:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Damn, our cashiers must be really friendly around here! I worked in a group home for mentally handicapped adults for several years, and there were 10 people between staff and patients in the house at all times, so you KNOW we had a lot of groceries...usually 2 carts. On top of that, we usually took our patients out to do the shopping with us and they can be a handful in the check out isle with all the toys, candy, and magazines sitting around, but the cashiers were great to us every time and would try to make conversation with our guys to help distract them until our order was done. Went out of their way a lot even though I'm sure it wasn't the highlight of their day to see us coming.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I get crazy looks for the WAY I shop, not necessarily how much. I'm super scrupulous about buying the sale stuff and using coupons and budgeting. I know the cashiers are looking at my receipt thinking, damn, this chick can shop!
    randomsoliloquy

Answer by randomsoliloquy at 7:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2008