What does a c-section feel like? like right when u wake up?

i'm terrified.if my previa doesnt fix itself i'm in for a c-section. how is recovery? what are you able and unable to do? i dont know anything about it?

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 7:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had 3 c-sections (1 prevaria, 2 accrecia (sp)) and I felt fine after the surgery, but then again I had a morphine drip in my hand :-) The last one was the only one I had a reaction to, I was so thirsty after surgery I drank 2 gallons of water and ended up throwing up in a room full of relatives for half an hour - they were so busy cooing over the baby I don't think they even noticed.
    You will be sore in your abdomen, and getting out of bed or turning will be a chore, but wear your binder and hold onto your stomach when you move, and use the bed controls to sit up before you try to get out of bed. My back was sore also after the 3rd, but I sat in a chair with an icepack and it was fine after a few days.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• cont'd. You'll have to use your arms alot to manuever around in your hospital bed, pulling on the rails to shift position, etc. Honestly, I loved being in the hospital because I had the baby all to myself, I'd lay him on the pillow next to me cradled in my arm and buzzed people to fetch me stuff :-) Didn't get alot of that once I got home, though lol.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Getting from a lying down position to sitting, and from sitting to standing are really tough at first. It's moving from one of these positions to the other that's difficult; once you're in a position, it's no big deal. I thought standing and walking around was the most comfortable, once I got going. You will be unable to drive until you're able to slam on the brakes, if necessary, and that's a month to 6 weeks. Bending from a standing position will be difficult, for example, putting your baby down into a bassinet will be difficult at first (unless you're short, and if so, lucky you!) I found that the first two days (when I was still in the hospital) were way worse than the third and fourth, and by a week, it was really only difficult getting out of bed. By 10 days, I only needed advil for discomfort. A week after that, I didn't need to take anything. That's when not driving became annoying.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i had a planned c section
    doc knew i was skwormish
    i was awake
    he pretended he had not even started when he was well into cutting
    i felt no pain
    had to go to recovery room after birth
    her father was with our baby
    one hour recovery until i could move toes
    then to our room

not too bad whole thing
    do take it easy, i went a bit overboard, thought i coud do it all, when stopped taking med pain for insustion, i found i had spinal headaches-take it weasy-it is not a race

husband also took my books away from me on c section-only made me for scared
    consintrate on your baby being born, does not matter how, just the outcome of health

gl
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine was fine. you're awake the whole time so.... you know. But it does hurt for sometime after. You will be expected to get up and walk within 24 hours. No heavy lifting, no driving and no going out shopping for like two weeks. My doctor told me stories of women who went shopping and one had a cart accidentlly pushed into her abdomen. Well it ripped the incision open again and she spent a few more days in the hospital. It is a major surgery so follow your doctor's orders and you should heal up fine. I had no complications at all from my c-section. I think it does depend on your mind set. If you are absolutely terrified you're not going to have a good experience. I went into mine knowing my OB was doing the best thing for both me and my baby. I knew I was going to be fine and I wanted what was best for baby. I fully trusted my doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Great answers here. I had 2 sections. Just take it easy if you have one and follow Dr advice. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had one vaginal delivery and one c-section ... I'd take 10 vaginals over 1 c-section any day.

The procedure itself was OK, afterwards I was pretty doped up so I wasn't in a lot of pain but they want you up on your feet ASAP and that first time I stood up ... YOWZA! Plus, I could feel my incision (not painful, but it definitely let me know it was there) for about 5 years after my c-section ... my girlfriend has said the same thing, what's up with that???

I think the real kicker though is the recovery time. With my son (vaginal), I was shopping and running errands 2 days later. With my daughter (emergency c-section), I needed a good month before I felt somewhat normal. Thank goodness my husband and I had lots of help from family; we couldn't have done it any other way.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had 2 csections and 3 vaginal deliveries, I prefer the csection. You most likely will not be put to sleep and will be awake the whole time but will feel nothing other than some light tugging/pulling - it doesn't hurt at all. For several hours later there is no pain, because you still have all the anesthesia in your system. After that, it does start to hurt but the nurses/drs can give you painkillers even if you are breastfeeding. I had a csection 3 1/2 weeks ago and I'm completely recovered, back to my normal schedule with 5 kids. I stayed in the hospital the full 4 days that insurance would pay for so I had plenty of time to rest/recover. When I first got home, stairs were hard and I couldn't drive but other than that I was pretty much okay.

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010