Question about Ovulation

I use the clearblue fertility monitor to take the guess work out of when I 'O'. I have been using it for 4 months now and have noticed I have a late time of 'O'. I know it's normal to have some fluctuation, but I seem to be all over the place. I normally 'O' later in my cycle day 16+, but today I'm on day 10 and 'Oing'. Last month it was day 22. Is this much of a fluctuation normal? Sorry to be confusing :)

momofone221

Asked by momofone221 at 7:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I used to ovulate either on day 11 or 12 every months, but I think for some women, it varies a lot. You might want to ask your doctor about it.
    amandatavisk

Answer by amandatavisk at 7:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It was for me. There are all kinds of things that can affect your cycle. Stress is a biggie, or it was for me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It is not the average to jump around, but it certainly is not abnormal either. When you O on day 22 how long before you start your period? Knowing when you O is nice, but if it is less then 14 days or so from the time you O to the time you start your period then that may be what is hindering you from getting pregnant. your luteal phase needs to be about 14 days to allow time for implantation. DH's aunt was having issues getting pregnant even though she thought she had a normal 30 days cycle. Turns out she was ovulating on day 20 and only had a 10 day luteal phase. She started using progesterone gel and increased her luteal phase and got pregnant.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Hi, I'm a Natural Family Planning instructor. Yes, it's normal for the time of ovulation to fluctuate. Each woman (and each cycle) is unique- ovulation requires that a fine balance of hormones (particularly estrogen and follicle stimulating hormone & luteinizing hormone) reaches a certain level- the time this takes varies depending on women's health, medications, stress, even the level of dark & light. The best way to predict ovulation is to monitor your cervical mucous, since that signals the rise in estrogen, and when it changes/disappears, indicates that ovulation occurred within a 24 hr. period. This works no matter how irregular the cycle. See the book The Ovulation Method by Evelyn Billings for detail in how this works.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 8:58 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My LP phase is always the same 14 days. My cycle varies from 28 days all the way to 35 days, every month it's different. I am just a bit shocked to see ovulation occurring so early for me when usually it doesn't happen until day 16 or later. It takes us forever to get pg at least 12 months :( But, we are hoping it happens soon. We just can't figure out what's causing the delay. Thanks for the advice ladies.

Mamahobbit- I have read taking charge of your fertility, but in all honesty I trust a monitor over my own assumptions. I'm afraid I won't look for the correct signs and waste more time. I suppose I can do both at the same time though.
    momofone221

Comment by momofone221 (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010