"waterbugs" (big cockroaches)

So I have these huge disgusting cockroaches in my house. Here in the south we euphemistically call them waterbugs - they are different from the regular, almond-sized cockroaches that usually infest houses.

(In fact, in all my years here in the south, this is the first house I have ever seen that was infested with the big ones - usually a few will come visit from outside, but they don't move in the way the regular ones do).

Anyway, the house was infested with them when I moved in (of course I didn't realize it before moving in), and I have had a heck of a time getting rid of them. I have a child and a cat. Any advice? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we had the same problem in az the cat ate most of them. there is a power you can buy from the garden store. it looks more like cat litter and it works! sprinkle it around the house and it lasts six months. some one told me they found some stuff that lasts all year at lowes. i've never tried it. when i gat a chance i'll run over to the shop and find the name of it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:00 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• OMG!! I hate those things!! We would have random ones show up in our brand new house when we lived in south Texas. I've heard that "Seven" powder works, that may be what noel1978 is referring to. Good luck, YUCK!!! lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Had a major issue with those when we lived in Texas!! Also called them "tree roaches" because our house was surrounded by huge old trees and that is where they would come from! They are terrible!! I can't say that we had a big problem IN the house though, but on occasion some would get in from outside. We laid roach repellent around the door jambs and the window seals and would spray the yard with the repellent that attaches to the water hose. It helped a lot. I haven't seen a single one of those since we moved to Kansas last August, but now we have spiders to deal with instead lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 5, 2010