What do you think of the massacre in Manchester, CT?

As an HR Director and a CT resident, I'm feeling it on a pretty personal level. Every time I have to fire someone or conduct a major discliplinary action meeting I get a little bit nervous about the potential for a violent reaction.

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A disgruntled employee is your Number 1 risk factor for any problem in any business. Not enough of our clients take that seriously. A close tie is an employee going through a divorce. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them...but disgruntled employees are capable of doing anything and everything. I am surprised a company like budweiser handled this guy in this manner. And I rarely am for suing, but in this case I really think the families have a lawsuit against Budweiser for the way they handled him. I would however..like to see in a few more days more information as to what really happend and what the murderer had been doing over the last 6 months.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• i think you're smart! In today's society you never know who's one push away from the edge. So many ppl are stressed about so many things that its putting too much stress on them & they are snapping like 10 year old rubber bands. Just goes to show you that you may not know as much about your coworkers as you thought...& maybe, just maybe we should be nicer to each other. This guy picked certain ppl out, bet it wasn't the ones he was friends w/!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I did that for many years, and have been threatened people were gonna wait for me outside when I got off work..No one ever came but it DOES happen...It amazes me that the people that do the stuff to get fired for in the first place and pissed at OTHERS.....HE STOLE! GOT CAUGHT....you didnt LOSE your job....you GAVE it away

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• One of my high school friends was killed in a similar shooting two years ago. He was management at the company.

I don't know if even being nice helps; when someone goes off, they don't have any friends.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:33 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It has nothing to do with being nice. It has to do with respect. If everybody would just learn how to respect, U don't steal or call someone names.
    But a sick person is a sick person and not a thing will change that, something else will make them snap.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:24 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You're right, he targeted management.
    FeelinYummy

Comment by FeelinYummy (original poster) at 8:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• So true sweet-a-kins! Thankfully I work for a great non-profit and we really do care about the health and well-being of our employees. We have an EAP in place to provide help for anyone who is under stress or going through something difficult and we try to provide stress relieving benefits like we have a reflexologist come in to the workplace on a monthly basis and give everyone private 1/2 treatments and we "foot the bill" (pardon my pun). But, all that to say, I'm sure we have some employees who don't feel valued or that we care, no matter how much we try to show them that they do.
    FeelinYummy

Comment by FeelinYummy (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't know if even being nice helps;

Sometimes you gotta be nice and sometimes you gott abe tough....got to read people.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:55 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• So, now if you get caught red handed stealing from your employer and are fired for that theft, the employer and its employees are racists? This use to be called "going postal". Now it is justified because it is racists? Will the murderer be charged with a hate crime for the theft or the killings? Doubt it!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 5, 2010