prices?

Think I found our puppy, but she is from a shelter. The only problem is the web site states one price and when I emailed the foster family they sent me an adoption fee 4times the price. Anyone else find that the shelter charges a much lower rate than their foster family of an animal? Shouldn't the adoption fee be the same?
By the way the price does matter since it is for my 17yo and he has to cover all expenses-the price the shelter asks leaves plenty of his savings for shots/spay and anything else he wants to buy for his dog. The foster price will take a huge chunk by itself.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 8:04 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• email them back & ask why their price is so high. I'm betting that bc they are a foster family they have put some of their own $ into this dog & that's why its so high.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would call the shelter and ask for clarification.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Or they're trying to get one over on you & assume if you want the dog you'll just pay it w/out researching why its so much more. I'd also call the shelter they're associated w/ & ask if this is a normal practice.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It depends on who owns the dog. If the shelter still owns him but is just having the foster care for him then go through the shelter and pay the lower price. If the shelter allowed the foster group to adopt him then you'll have to go through the foster and pay the higher fee.

I know that fosters charge more than shelters b/c they aren't given all the price breaks on care (shelters have access to their own vets and medications) and the foster needs to generate money for care. Fosters are not given state/county money like a shelter would be either.

Congrats on the new family member!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:13 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• OP-here sadly we are not getting the puppy. I have chosen to keep looking, I called the shelter to hear not sure why the foster is charging so much unless she is rolling in all the puppy shots, rabies and spaying charges (but the puppy is 9 weeks old, so she will still need all that).

mom-2-4boys

Comment by mom-2-4boys (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Foster price? Not sure what that is. Any reputable rescue or shelter will have one price for younger dogs and sometimes a lower price for older or special needs dogs.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:18 PM on Aug. 5, 2010