What can she chew on??

We got a 1 year old puppy a couple days ago, and she is a chewer and I don't have any dog bones or anything really for her to chew on. Does anyone know if there is anything that I may be able to give to chew on so she will quit looking around the house for something to chew on?? We only have one vehicle and my DH takes it to work so I have no wheels to go anywhere. Please help!! She wont settle down without having something to calm her nerves. Thanks!!

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 8:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• I wouldn't give her anything to chew on that you wouldn't be okay with her chewing on later. How about some ice cubes? I know my dogs LOVE ice cubes. As soon as you can you need to get some doggy appropriate chew toys. See if she'll take some ice.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't give her anything to chew on except things designed specifically as a dog chew. It can be dangerous and unhealthy for the dog and it also teaches them to chew on things that aren't appropriate.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Getting a puppy is like having a baby. You need to be prepared. If you start giving the puppy something from around the house to chew on, youd better make sure it's something she can also chew on in the future. Because you are giving her the OK to chew on it. I have a very aggressively chewing mini-pom. But, I always provide her with the proper things to chew on. She knows the right things and the wrong things. As long as she has the right things, the wrong things never come to mind.

That being said...what kind of puppy do you have? That makes a difference in what you provide. My DD puppy adopted and old rain boot that is fairly indestructible. She drags that boot every where she goes. It's rubber. Do you have an old solid rubber ball of any kind?

When DH gets home from work today - go get puppy supplies.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When you go grocery shopping next, pick up some marrow bones.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Invest in some Kongs,Nylabones, anything heavy duty since most puppies are chewers. DON'T let her chew sticks(watch around rocks too) I have seen too many dogs hurt from chewing on sticks
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Anything you give her should be something that she will ALWAYS be able to chew on. And don't go buying her toys to chew that LOOK like the things that are not ok for her to chew...like shoes or socks or newspapers. That just confuses the dog.

She is old enough to learn not to chew. You should keep a leash handy or even on her and when you catch her chewing something she isn't allowed to chew, give the leash a pull and say NO in a very firm voice. Do this every single time or it won't work. You might not always catch her, but when you do you have to let her know immediately that it is a NO. You can't even wait a minute because she will never put the NO with it if she isn't doing it when she hears it. Just takes patience, vigilance and consistency. She'll get it.

In the meantime, as soon as you can, get her chewables--rawhide is good--

GOOD LUCK!!
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 9:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Don't give her anything that she can easily destroy. When you can get to the pet store look for kongs and soup marrow bones.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Find an old towel and knot it in as many places as you can, but watch to make sure she is not EATING any of the pieces.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:17 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Actually, although the stores carry more rawhide than any other chewing things, it is totally bad for your dog. It does NOT digest. And, especially for small breeds, it will plug their intestines. This is DIRECTLY from every vet I have ever been to. Rawhide is animal skin. You don't eat leather. Neither should your dog.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:24 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I agree...NO rawhide! I like Nylabones & rope toys (you do have to make sure the dog isn't eating the strings from the rope). I've also heard nothing but good things about Kong although I've never given one to any of my dogs.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010