What age did your child switch to a bed?

My daughter is 27 months old. She hasn't climbed out of her crib but she is very tall and seems uncomfortable. Should we move her to a bed?

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. My older child was about 2 1/2 and wasn't climbing out yet, but we needed the crib for his younger brother. The younger child started climbing out before he was 2 so we moved him then.

Answer by Bmat at 8:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My dd's crib was recalled (the one where the mattress support collapses) & the toddler bed we ordered to replace it was backordered so they cancelled our order. So I said screw it & have her mattress on the floor w/ one of the soft bed rails. She LOVES her big girl bed. She's 15 mo & its been that way for about 2 mo. When she gets older we have a reg size daybed she's gonna sleep in but the gaps are too big for her still. She'll go play on her bed & has even started lying down on her own when she's getting tired! I love her big girl bed!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My first son was moved to a toddler bed when he was 14 months because his brother was born and needed the crib. My second son was moved into the toddler bed at 16 months when his brother got a big bed. My last son was moved from his crib directly into a big bed when he was 24 months old.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• 18 months
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My ds was 14 mos. We found a toddler bed at Goodwill for $20 so got it. We didn't think he was ready for it yet but we set it up in his room b/c we didn't want to put it in the attic just to bring it down. After a few nights he curled up in it and fell asleep just before bedtime. We went to his room to get him so we could get ready for bed and he was out. That was his first night in the toddler bed and we had no problems. :)
    ziff130

Answer by ziff130 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• DD1 was 12 months old but she had figured out how to drop the side of her crib by herself and she was more than ready for a bed. DD2 is 15 months and doesn't show any signs of being ready any time soon.

Also DD1 is in a toddler bed, but when I switch DD2 they will both go in to a bunk bed (though if they will be on top of each other or we'll have the bunk beds as separate twins for a while I haven't decided.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My daughter is 20 months and we still haven't switched her. But I say you can try to move her and see how it works out, if she falls out you can always buy the railings to prevent her from falling.

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would do it now. If your nervous about him rolling out of bed than just put the crib mattress on the floor instead of in a frame

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My 3 were all between 18 and 20 months when they were moved out of the crib and onto a toddler bed.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I think every child is different but if my son didnt climb out of his crib @ 23 months I would have kept him in as long as possible. if you are starting to transition try the super nanny method. it worked for us!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2010