Husband/SO/Partner/BF...whoever you live with lol

How do you get your hubby(or whoever) to help around the house???? We have 2 children, 3.5 years and 6 months. I babysit(days) at home M-Th/F. He works 5 days 2pm-10/11pm. I can get alot done around the house but he should HAVE to help also. I have tried everything!!!! Suggestions please!

Mommygoose

Asked by Mommygoose at 8:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• rolling on floor ahhh they really need to do a sweet pea that's laughing so hard I peed my pants! When you figure it out lemme know will ya!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I'm with Nyx7! I've been researching this exact topic for SEVENTEEN YEARS! If you find the solution it should be published in some national Journal and we will nominate you for a Nobel Prize....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:48 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My husband felt that working long hours on his job plus maintaining the yard and the cars was about it for him, along with the occasional heavy household task. He felt that the work associated with the household was pretty evenly divided. When I simply wasn't able to get something done because I was struggling with a big vegetable garden and the produce- all my own project- he would step in if I asked him. So my recommendation is that you and he make a list of the chores and who does what and determine if they are indeed evenly divided. When we were first married, we both had full time jobs, and when we got home, I would clean and do laundry and cook, and he would read the paper. When I pointed this out to him he said he'd never thought of it. So be sure you have brought this up to him.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I have a chore chart and i tell my husband he has to spend at least 15 min in the room he is supposed to help with that day. lol it doesnt work but it was worth a try.
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 8:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• nothing.
    he did the dishes after dinner for 3 months..that was nice. he doesnt do it anymore. he takes out the trash, that is his contribution...and i do full time college, take care of the house/kid and work from home to help pay for school. needless t osay soemtimes i have to accept the reality of the situation and let the bookshelf go another week without being dusted. it wont killa nyone but it will save my stress.
    soo umm im no help on this one. mine wont do sh**
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• This is what happens in my house:
    me: Would you take the trash out?
    josh: Yea in a minute
    me: whatever I'll just do it myself
    josh: IM DOING IT
    then he goes and does it lmao

But generally I do everything at home and he works. I only ask him to do something if he has the day off or if I had a really bad day and need the help
    Mind you we only have one child, when number 2 comes that might change a bit ;)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Leave. Then he would clean up after himself. Honestly, it's true. My mom was gone on a bunch of business trips and my Dad who never cleaned anything in their 30 year marriage (he's in his 70s) started doing dishes and his own laundry! Bowled my mom over. My MIL recently left her husband after their like 20 year marriage, he started cleaning up after himself, cleaning his bathroom, etc. My aunt also left home and her husband started cleaning the house. So yeah, leave or completely stop and deal with the ensuing mess for weeks and months until he wakes up. Not very practical, eh?
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• my husband is really good about taking out the trash. i pick my battles and count my blessings lmao
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My hubs will do some things around the house, I have learned if I want him to do them I have to ask and then most times he will do it (depends on how tired he is). I do wish that he would think of it on his own and 'surprise' me--- like he sees the bathroom looks grungy and then he cleans it on his own-- and not wait for me to say 'the bathroom looks grungy would you clean it?".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My BF is military. He works from 5am to 5pm or later some days. I work til at least 6 most days. I NEVER ask him to help me around the house. EVER. They only thing he does is take out the trash & clean the patio. I don't mind at all. I just make a schedule & stick to it. Everything gets done.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 5, 2010