How do I keep my bathroom smelling fresh with potty trained toddlers using it?

Okay, my kids are potty trained but they occasionally miss the toilet. I have a girl and a boy. Sometimes my ds pees on the back of it and sometimes my dd sprays on the side and it trickles down. I don't inspect after everytime they pee. I just don't have time for that. I deep clean it on Wednesdays but w/in 24 hrs it's smells again. I wipe it down daily but it really needs a deep clean daily and I just don't have time for that. Any tips?

ziff130

Asked by ziff130 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• good question! I have been trying to thiink of a cute little rhyme to post on a sign in my bathroom to warrn guests that anything they smell is the fault of a cute little boy and not me lol!

Here is what I do, though I will be back to read more answers here!
    1. Wipe as often as possible with clorox wipes (I don't have time to check behind Felipe every time he pees either - and really checking behind him doesn't do the trick, what I really need to do is watch him pee so i see exactly where to wipe every time - in an ideal world I would!)
    2. Teach Felipe to pee, then wipe his winky, then wipe the potty. Of course he doesn't always do it, and even when he does he doesn't always get all the pee, shoot sometimes he doesn't even notice where he peed lol!
    ...but that's my plan of attack, fwiw!

Godd luck! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Clean up any oopsies right away. And, keep an airfreshener in there. Also, buy a pretty fragranted candle and set it in there. You don't have to light it if the scent is strong enough.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• idk..... my kids clean up after themselves. i have a 5yo boy and a 2yo boy. if they have an accident they know to get a paper towel and clean it up. the 5yo is allowed to use lysol wipes too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• what about one of those plug in scents? This won't be an issue forever! :)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I hope not! I hate walking into our ONLY bathroom in the house and smelling urine. Ick!! Then I pull out the wipes and start scrubbing but I don't have time to do that everytime.
    ziff130

Comment by ziff130 (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Maybe one of those bowl freshners that you hook to the toilet so when it's flushed it releases cleaner and freshner all in one. The S.E. Johnson puts out a whole bunch of products. I use their Scrubbing Bubbles products to clean my bathroom. They work really well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I am not sure, but I feel the same way! I have a 3,4 and 6 yr old and I feel like it always smells like pee in there! Even after I just cleaned :(
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 9:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Keep some disinfecting wipes nearby to wipe up messes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My bathroom is disgusting too and I have to do a deep clean every day. But just to keep the toilet smelling nice I got some denture drops and I throw them in there once a day and it keeps the toilet itself smelling nice and helps with keeping stains off.
    jax3

Answer by jax3 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When it comes to my bathroom that's the cleanest thing in my house. Every time my 2.5 year old used the bathroom I'm right in there afterward with disinfecting wipes. To make sure its clean. Everyone things I'm crazy. I clean the bathroom every night. I disinfect everything. But twice a week i deep clean.
    CrystalJulianna

Answer by CrystalJulianna at 12:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2010