I feel bad but......

Ok, so I tried to do the breastfeeding thing, to be honest, I don't like it, I don't like the feeling, I don't like how my nipples are suffering I don't like feeling like a cow on demand, maybe I am just a tad lazy not gonna lie, but overall I just don't think it's my cup of tea. Now I don't know how to explain this to my husband and family members who are ALL about breastfeeding.

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 9:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You aren't a cow. Not that there is anything wrong with cows. They are given a bad rap. You are a lactating and that's pretty darned awesome. You can MAKE something without thinking about it that formula manufacturers can never duplicate no matter how much money or equipement they throw at it. They've made it adequate and that's an accomplishment for sure.

You must STILL feed a baby on demand. Breast or bottle. Your baby will STILL be attached to you. That's how baby's roll.

So be SURE that you have it in the right perspective. Be SURE you aren't just suffering from depression, or cabin fever. At the very least go to a LLL meeting in your area for support or join a breastfeeding group if you've been doing this alone with no support from other breastfeeders not in your family.

If you do go formula you can try Baby's Only by Nature's one. Perhaps a 50/50 split will do you fine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:19 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Your body, your choice, not theirs or anyone else that is going to feel the need to lecture you about breastfeeding.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:35 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• How long have you been trying? I am sure we could all help with suggestions on how to cure a sore nipple and to help you feel more comfortable with nursing so that you can continue to give your child the best. What can we do to encourage you to continue? I would not throw in the towel quite yet because hurdles have to be overcome but once you do the rewards are endless, protection from cancer for both of you, less change of ear infection (to watch a baby suffer through one of those is very hard), less stomach discomfort, lessens your child's change of getting an illness and if baby does by breastfeeding baby will get over that illness much quicker and it won't be as severe, the list is endless. Please consider everyone in the decision before committing to giving up. Good Luck and I hope we can help you succeed, as we know you can!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:47 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• totally ur choice, i went thru hell with my first but did it anyway, n hated how it felt. im so not doing it again. i'm in my last month preggers with my 2nd, and i dont think i'm even gonna have the energy to do it again while dealing with 2 yr old. my husband totally disagrees so does his mom n fam. i dont care though. i'm not gonna put myself in a difficult situation, it hasnt done me good before. i'm gonna do what i want n screw what anyone else thinks. not everyone has the time or energy to put up with it.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Agreed with the first comment. It's YOUR body and no one else's; if you're not comfortable breastfeeding, then DON'T do it. I was the same way, and giving my DD a bottle was much more convenient than pulling my boob out in public/dealing with sore, leaky nipples/feeling like a cow (as you said it; couldn't have said it better myself). There's always gonna be a debate about breast vs. bottle, but it's up to the MOM and no one else. Besides, formula's so damn high-tech anymore that babies aren't missing out on any nutrients by bottle feeding them (my toddler's now 20 months, but ever since she was born she's been taller and weighs more - but not overweight - than the other kids in her age range. Formula's done her just fine).
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• You don't have to make excuses to them or even explain. If they ask, simply say you've decided not to. It's up to you, not them.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• No one should be bullying you to do anything. Just tell them you are not doing it and leave it at that.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Your body. But don't think bottles are easier. You must wash, sterilize and travel with them. you have to buy fomula and find one you baby will tolerate. you can say goodbye to peasant poops and non staiing spit up. you still must get up a night and prepare bottls. you will no longer have the soothing capabilities unique to breasts. its not easier by any means. you also will not be passing on antibodies or living protections in milk. you may have to deal with constipation which is common in FF babies.

Nipple soreness does pass by the way. Makes sure are giving it time. The first 3-4 months are the hardest for all of us. Especially first timers.

Fianlly, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LOVE BREASTFEEDING EVERY DAY, NO MORE THAN YOU NEED TO LOVE YOUR DINNER EVERY DAY. Sometimes we eat because we must for the nutrition, not because we want to. And we don't always find our meals 5 star.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Well it's your choice and just tell them how you feel. Some people might say you are selfish but you tried it and it wasn't for you, don't let anyones negative comments or ideas make you change your mind.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I had the opposite problem. My family was all against BF and I wanted to. I only lasted 3 weeks with my first and 4 months with the second because of all the comments from DH and family. It was so much easier than making bottles.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:36 AM on Aug. 5, 2010