cat and fleas...

I will be ordering Advantage online (1800 petmeds). He tried Frontline through our vet a few years ago but I'd like to try something new. Have you ever used Advantage on your cat? good results? It got 4 out of 5 stars on that website. I'm also concerned about his skin. From his constant scratching. I'm not too fond of shampoos, but I would like to try something else. Can I feed my cat some salmon? canned salmon? I heard omega 3's would really help soothe the skin. what would you recommend to help with the skin?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:38 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Does he have fleas now? With my cat, I treated him with some Advantage, which I don't know whether I gave it long enough or not, but after a week he was still scratching like crazy. I ended up going to Wal-Mart and buying a flea collar. That has seemed to help. Honestly, our problem was we didn't treat him each month like they recommend to prevent the fleas from infesting in the first place, then he got outside and covered in them! So, good luck, and if you were like me, don't stop treating him once the fleas are gone!
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Also, my vet recommended Revolution because it covers heart worm, fleas and ticks and I think one other pest. Kind of pricey, but we were happy with it while we used it.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My cats were born in a barn and are now indoor cats. So fleas are not an issue, they were at first but nothing a bath couldn't solve. The salmon thing....would scare me. My husband had a cat for 18 years and he used to feed her tuna. One day she had a stroke and then a brain meltdown.... we believe it was a result of mercury poisoning after years of eating tuna. My kitties now only eat dry cat food. :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:43 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• yes he has fleas now. he's had them. just didnt have the money to treat them medicinally till now. I plan to buy an extended plan so I can treat him every month in order to control the flea cycle. Once the fleas are gone I'm a bit concerned about his skin since he constantly scratches. He doesnt like baths so I want to be as easy on him as possible lol.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• hmmm yes cat's would be more susceptible to something like mercury even if the traces are minute in salmon or tuna...good point! What about omega 3 pills? My cat doesnt like baths so I'd really like to do a different method of helping heal the skin. any suggestions?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• My cat, Mason, doesn't scratch anymore now that the fleas are gone. He occasionally will scratch at his neck where the collar is, but nothing to do with fleas. He's calm, isn't losing hair anymore, and has a shiny coat also. He's severely allergic to the flea saliva, which sounds like your cat may have the same issue. As long as he has a healthy diet and lifestyle, once the fleas stop biting him, he shouldn't keep scratching. If he does, I would check with your vet to see if he has food allergies or some other allergy to something in his environment.
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• ok thank you musicalbabe! I'm very certain it's a flea allergy causng him to scratch. I am buying 6 month supply for now so hopefully that will control the infestation
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I like Advantage better then Frontline. I think it works better especially if you have a flea allergic animal( I have been through this with several).
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• is theAdvantage i'm finding online the same that vets prescribe?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Advantage is a great product for fleas. I'd recommend getting it from a vet though because I've heard stories of incorrect products arriving from online pharmacies (one person got water in the "Advantage" tube rather than the medication). Apply the product monthly to the skin on the nape of the neck. As far as the skin is concerned, if the itching is due to fleas, as the Advantage works, the itching should decrease. If you use it for several months and you are still noticing itching talk to your vet. Omega-3 Fatty Acids can be given but talk to your vet about appropriate products and dosing. Never give supplements without consulting your vet and making sure it is safe to give. I do agree w/ PP that replied that Revolution is better because you get more "bang for your buck" - it covers heartworms, fleas, intestinal parasites, and mites in cats (it works differently in dogs) and costs about $15 a month.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 10:52 PM on Aug. 5, 2010