does it mean anything if your blood pressure is low?

not sure how low it is, but I went to the doctor a few months ago and they told me my blood pressure was low thats all that was said. Then I went to the doctor Tuesday and the nurse asked me if my blood pressure was always that low. I told her I didn't know she said it is nothing to worry about. But does it mean anything if it is low? What happens if it gets to low?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in About CafeMom

• First....don't listen to the nurses or assistant's opinions on what is low. I have taken readings that were audible down to 0 and it was considered normal. Not average...normal. Don't confuse the 2. What is average is average numbers for a large group of people. Normal is what is considered normal for one individual. And then there are acceptable ranges or desirable ranges. I will guess yours fit into a lower than average or lower than desirable. If you are sitting there feeling fine and talking coherently a lower than average reading for you is normal.
    I always run low and run into this crap all the time, especially at the dentist's office. Readings of 70/50 for me are normal. For someone else a reading like that would put them on the floor. It 's all relative. Assess how you feel at the time of your supposed low readings. If you feel fine, it's ok for you.
    In medicine you have to consider the Pt first not the findings.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine has always been low.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:57 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine normal is quite low compared to the average - it's not a big deal really, the only issue I have is that when mine is elevated, it looks normal. I make sure that if I'm being treated by someone new that I explain what my normal BP is.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010