Becoming a RN

Im a SAHM but i dont want to be that forever. I want to pursue a career in nursing but had a few questions. I have never gone to college so I'm not sure how exactly it works. How long would school take including general ed if I chose to get my associates in nursing. Is there any way I can specialize in labor and delivery? What is the fastest way to accomplish this. Any answers or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Money & Work

• Im sure your getting lots of great answers. But here is my experience. I have an associates in nursing. I highly recommend it, then if you want to continue and your bachelors, you can work while doing it. It took me a year of doing pre-requisites(sp?) then 2yrs of actual nursing classes. So 3yrs of total schooling. Each school may do it a bit different so just look into it. I have never heard of a waiting list like someone said above, but you never know. I work when I want, set my hours and get paid well when I do work.
    ...................Cont.
    lovin2Bme

Answer by lovin2Bme at 3:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Usually the waiting list to get into an associates degree nursing program is a year or two which is just enough time to get the majority of your gen eds done. Then when you actually get to start the program it takes two years.

You really cannot specialize in anything during school because you need to have nursing clinicals in many different areas. After you graduate you can do an nursing internship in labor and delivery or just get a job on a labor and delivery unit. You will have extensive on the job training so nobody will just say... OK you are on your own!

Some associate degree RN programs do require you to at least pass a nursing assistant course so you get the basics down like positioning, toileting, bed making, transferring, and such.

I know that it sounds like a lot but it is worth it!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• question cont'd--
    I dont know how the proffession works- do you have to have your associates to be an RN?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• The minimum education to become a RN is an associates degree. You can become a LPN in a one year program and then become a RN at a later date as well.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Wow, you have a lot ahead of you, starting with the minimum requirements, and then a 2 to 4 year nursing course after that. Nursing involves alot of charting, about 6 hours a day and less than 2 hours of patient care, that is why there are so many CNA's in the hospital. I wanted to be a nurse till I worked with them. I love helping people and found a way to do that from home. Here is my website, take a look and let me know what you think. I made $1798.00 part-time last month and still was able to be home and take my granddaughter to school every day.
    www.thewhycircle.com/raemgarcia
    Evelyn
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 11:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Full-time, an associates degree is two years. You can't specialize in L&D while you're in school, and I wouldn't even recommend it for a few years when you get out of school. Learn from my experience: A FEW YEARS IN MED-SURG WILL DO YOU GOOD!!!
    BabyCatchinMama

Answer by BabyCatchinMama at 1:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Oh, and I wouldn't recommend becoming an LPN. It's hard to find a good job as an LPN, and it's even harder in L&D. The American Nurses Association is looking at permanently phasing out LPNs. Just bite the bullet and get your RN if you want to be a nurse.
    BabyCatchinMama

Answer by BabyCatchinMama at 1:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• About a month ago I was seriously considering this same path, but with the kids and other responsibilities it just seems too daunting - not that it can't be done. IMO, it is a very long road for a mother that still wants to devote a good amount of her time to her kids. Our community has an excellent RN program at one of the local JC's, and it is a 2 year wait. I've decided to go the route of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ultrasound). Shorter program, better working hours, fewer clinicals, and still very interesting (to me). I'll have my AS when I'm done with the program, and there are a few classes that are available online.
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 1:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• ............Cont.......I do NOT recommend going for your LPN. First hand as an RN, I don't like working with LPNs. And most RNs will tell you the same thing. Honestly, I dont' know why thats even still around. Why.....lets say I go in and work a 12hr shift. I have 8 patients, and LPN has 8 patients.....in EVERY hospital I have worked, which it does vary, LPNs are not allowed to do certain things(passing of certain meds, drsng changes, and RNs have to sign off on LPN chartings, etc...) So, I have to do my work plus the work they can not do. Like I said, most RNs will not tell you, buy will not like working with LPNs. Good luck in your researching.

http://www.4yourfam.com

lovin2Bme