How old were you or your child when you/they decided kissing mommy by the school bus was for "little kids"?

This morning, I put Kyra on the bus. Her 3rd day of kindergarten (well, the 3rd of the year, her 2nd since she had appointments all day yesterday). We took her the first day and today she took the bus. It pulled up and she pulled on my hand and whispered to me "don't kiss me, I'm not a baby" then blew me a kiss, said bye and went to stand with the other kids in line.
My "baby" isn't a baby anymore!
I barely remember giving my parents hugs and kisses in 5th grade, so I'm a little shocked at this whole "I'm in kindergarten, I'm too big for public kisses" thing.
How old were you? How old were your kids?

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Around age 2. he decide PDA or even a kiss at home was too much and gross and germy. You can't kiss him or touch his food or the top of his cup. He has been like that since at least 2, maybe even a little before. Yes, he is a little bit of a germaphobe and he thought he was too big then. :(
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Our children still kiss us, and they are 40, 37, and 32. They even still kiss their dad, which I guess must be really unusual, but to us, it's very natural.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine's still letting me kiss him and he's 9. He does have autism,so that makes a difference in his emotional age too though.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't remember my parents ever kissing me in public so I must have been about 3. The only time I kiss my kids goodbye is when I leave for work. Mine are going into 1st and 2nd and I might give them a quick squeeze hug but thats about it for goodbyes.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:02 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I would never kiss my school aged child in public. My mother used to do that to us and didn't let us say no, even in HS.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:05 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Mine is 5 and she still kisses me.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:10 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• It has been about 35 years...LOL...but I think I kissed them BEFORE we went to the bus stop. And after a few days I didn't have to walk to the bus with them...it was only a few houses down to the end of the cul de sac. But I bet they would not have minded if I kissed hem at the bus...they were cuddly and affectionate.They didn't care what the other kids thought anyway. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2010