How do you tell the dental hygenist you aren't satisfied with your teeth cleaning?

The last time I had my teeth cleaned I was not satisfied with how clean my teeth were. The hygenist did a good job on my front teeth but he practically ignored the back teeth. I have really sensitive gums so my teeth have to be super clean or my gums get sore. I use a water pik, floss and brush everyday but I just can't get all the way back there well, especially my wisdom teeth.

I have an appointment for a cleaning again today. How do I politely ask him to do a better job? He's the only hygenist at the practice.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 10:03 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Health

• I would just ask him if he can pay special attention to the back teeth--you don't necessarily have to say you weren't pleased last time (unless you just want to, lol), but tell him you've been having some trouble keeping the back of your mouth as clean as you'd like so you'd appreciate some extra time/attention in that area. Then, if you don't feel like he's doing that, just politely say "Can we please go over this area once more? Maybe I'm being silly, but I just don't feel it's very clean there". That's how I'd do it because I'm generally non-confrontational and find that being kind gets excellent results. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:07 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Just explain you didnt feel that your teeth were clean the best last time, its your money so you have the right to request better service
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 10:06 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• Maybe you should find a new Dentist and a new hygenist?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• So did you have a better cleaning this time?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:09 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• NO! I took your advice and he did a bit better but I'm still not happy. I'm going to have to switch I think. My previous hygenist would go over each tooth individually with her little cleaner tool. It took her at least 25 minutes to clean, she was meticulous. This guy gets my x-rays from 7 months ago, looks at that instead of my teeth and decides which areas to clean that way. It took him no longer than 10 minutes, even when I said I have a problem keeping the back ones clean.
    benjamink

Comment by benjamink (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Aug. 7, 2010