Mailing your clothes to a hotel??

I read on a blog where a family shops at yard sales and thrift stores then mails the clothes to the hotel they are going to stay at. When leaving they just mark the box to be thrown away. Thus saving the fees for bags on flights. Because they have the package tracked they know it has arrived before leaving. Part of me thinks this isn't a bad ideal. What do you think?

Wittyprncess

Asked by Wittyprncess at 10:17 AM on Aug. 5, 2010 in Travel

• Airlines are charging for checked luggage now, I want to say $25 a bag? Honestly, I'm not going to buy disposable clothes to take on vacation, I like to wear my own clothes (and it seems really wasteful, you'd think they'd at least try to donate the clothes.) I can't imagine that this really saves money - once you buy (even cheap) the clothes and ship them I would think the cost would be about the same, if not less, to just check your own bags.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:22 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I personally cannot imagine this as being cheaper. By the time you buy the clothes (even at thrift stores - yuck) then package and mail them, it's not as cheap as you might think. I just recently mailed a medium box of clothes to a fried for her child and it was much more expensive than I would have thought.
    Bonnie

Answer by Bonnie at 10:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I don't see that as being cheaper either, as sending a box can be quite expensive. Also buying the clothes prior to leaving would add up in the end. Now, they leave the box of clothes to be thrown away before they leave the hotel? That's a waste of money and those clothes could go to someone in need. They are wasting money and resources on something they could just easily avoid. It isn't better for them at all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:23 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I can't see how that's cheaper if they are buying all "new" clothes then mailing them. And why wouldn't they donate them afterwords? Seems really wasteful if you ask me.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:25 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• That doesn't really make any sense to me.

I know when I go to see family down south I might mail a box to them just to make traveling easier with kids, less to carry and check and keep track of. I will also mail items home so we don't have the same problem I don't think it is cheaper just more convenient.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• When my husband traveled for work, he would ship his laptop, tools, uniforms to the hotel instead of checking them at the airport. This way he only had a small carryon. Much cheaper then checking them and the risk of losing them. He would just ship them back to the shop when he was done. It really did work out well.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:31 AM on Aug. 5, 2010

• I worked at a small resort several years ago and there were a few regular guests who would always send their luggage FedEx both ways. But I highly doubt they bought 2nd hand clothing. They said their luggage had gotten lost more than once and figured it had a better chance of getting there that way.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 10:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2010